What lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Editor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yo yo sup AA?

So I've been peppering you all with questions so I figure I'll ask some more!

I've got a new hood on route, and am thinking I'll be upgrading the lights from what I have currently!

I have a 30L 18x10x10 tank, with a few plants in (not sure what they are tbh...).... I'm making a Java moss wall, and I like the idea of eventually having a totally planted out tank!

Have 4 guppies, and looking to get a few cherry shrimp involved too to help clean up and just look cool!

So I'm wandering what sort of lighting you would advise?

I've been looking at the 8W T5 light tubes and drivers.... But is this enough? Constrained by the length mainly...

Also been looking at the 13W clip on LED type lamps like this Mini Aquarium Illuminations Clamp Clip Lamp light 13W | eBay UK

not sure what to look for really...

Read a few posts in the planted section, so would like to avoid upgrading lights and instantly turning the water green with algae!

So lay it all on me!

Yo yo sup AA?

So I've been peppering you all with questions so I figure I'll ask some more!

I've got a new hood on route, and am thinking I'll be upgrading the lights from what I have currently!

I have a 30L 18x10x10 tank, with a few plants in (not sure what they are tbh...).... I'm making a Java moss wall, and I like the idea of eventually having a totally planted out tank!

Have 4 guppies, and looking to get a few cherry shrimp involved too to help clean up and just look cool!

So I'm wandering what sort of lighting you would advise?

I've been looking at the 8W T5 light tubes and drivers.... But is this enough? Constrained by the length mainly...

Also been looking at the 13W clip on LED type lamps like this Mini Aquarium Illuminations Clamp Clip Lamp light 13W | eBay UK

not sure what to look for really...

Read a few posts in the planted section, so would like to avoid upgrading lights and instantly turning the water green with algae!

So lay it all on me!

For a 6.5g tank the 8w will allow you to grow low light plants. Go to plantgeek.net and there's a lot of plants you can keep.

Jave Fern/moss
Anubias
Anacharis
Crypts

Ok how about a 14W T8?

and would you recommend one or the other for my set up?

The Editor said:
Ok how about a 14W T8?

and would you recommend one or the other for my set up?

Get the watts to high and algae will be an issue, not to mention ferts and co2 IMO. If you can try one or the other (lights), give it a shot and see what happens.

Hmmm.... I'm gonna have to chose one or the other to try I guess...

I'll try the lower power first I think... If it doesn't cut mustard I can always add more light.. Just need to find the ballast at a decent price now!

What bulbs would you recommend for general use such as mine? There seems to be a myriad of choices out there!

Hmmm.... I'm gonna have to chose one or the other to try I guess...

I'll try the lower power first I think... If it doesn't cut mustard I can always add more light.. Just need to find the ballast at a decent price now!

What bulbs would you recommend for general use such as mine? There seems to be a myriad of choices out there!

IMO, for a 6.5g tank 8w @ 6700K would be ideal. As far as that goes, if you have a screw in type fixture for a regular bulb, get the ZooMed 10w/6500K CFL and you'll be golden.

The wattage is not the issue as much as the light intensity is. A t5 light fixture is going to have more light intensity than a t8 of similar wattage.

For a small tank like that, I'd go with screw in CFLs as recommended above, but there are a lot of options to go with.

You can always alter your lighting intensity by raising or lowering the fixture as well, so keep that in mind.

Interesting... So are these screw in type CFLs similar to the home use ones and have the ballast directly in the bottom of the bulb unit and screw right into the mains?

I'm looking for that or similar spec'd bulb in the UK now..

The light will go directly into a crown hood so there won't be much room for vertical adjustment unfortunately..

The Editor said:
Interesting... So are these screw in type CFLs similar to the home use ones and have the ballast directly in the bottom of the bulb unit and screw right into the mains?

I'm looking for that or similar spec'd bulb in the UK now..

The light will go directly into a crown hood so there won't be much room for vertical adjustment unfortunately..

You got it. For a small tank, they're ideal IMO. Look online and they should make one to work in the UK. Best part is they're only $10 here and come with a ballast :D.

Can't find CFL aquarium bulbs for love nor money...

However I've found one with similar specs:

11W
SES E14 cap fitting
6500K Cool Daylight
590 Lumen

Made by Phillips

Sub £3 to buy, and less than £5 delivered...

mfdrookie516 said:
Something like this would be ideal IMO

That looks nice! I'll keep my eyes open for an all in one unit like that....

I saw an Arcadia Arc Pod a while ago.. What are they like in comparison?

Providing I could find a socket to fit it would that be ok?

They don't have to be aquarium specific bulbs, they just need to be daylight spectrum bulbs. They are commonly available at hardware type stores.

If you have a screw-in bulb fixture (even a clip on or desk lamp would work if it has a decent reflector) it just makes it cheaper to setup.

They don't have to be aquarium specific bulbs, they just need to be daylight spectrum bulbs. They are commonly available at hardware type stores.

If you have a screw-in bulb fixture (even a clip on or desk lamp would work if it has a decent reflector) it just makes it cheaper to setup.

Ah excellent! That opens up the options somewhat to me!

I've got literally nothing... This is a complete retrofit from scratch so I'm open to all options. Just wanna get the optimal final solution at the best price...

Mr. Limpet said:
Looks like you found what you needed.

Brilliant! Nice cheap bulb too...

Now would just have to find the correct fittings and a reflector!

I would avoid anything that has 'cool' in the name and try to stick with stuff that says daylight, or bright on it (in the 6500k - 10000k range). Seems like bulb manufacturers have different ideas of what daylight bulbs mean, and even 2 bulbs that are the same 6500k can look totally different.

Daylight and bright.. Got it...

I can see a fair few rated as Daylight 6400K... Are they any good?

What puts me off is they don't seem to be any sort of named brand at all... is this likely to make a difference?

Ok cool..

Would a 15W 6500K be better than say an 11W 6400K? Or even would a 15W be too powerful?

I'm having a hard time finding a single CFL reflector with the holder cap which isn't design for hydroponics and costs £££!

Would lining the inside of the lid with aluminium foil suffice?

I guess it wouldn't be anywhere as good as a dedicated reflector, but it'll be better than nothing.. and if I was to get the 15W bulb maybe losing a little of the light into the lid wouldn't be such a bad thing...

Thanks for all your advice so far! It's been of great assistance!

EDIT:

How about multiple spotlight type bulbs?

There are loads of low wattage MR16 type spot lamp LED bulbs for sale with 6500K temp...

Could I get like 3x4W and have them spaced out evenly in the lid and that work out ok for everyone in the water?

Back
Top Bottom