What lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Editor said:
Ok cool..

Would a 15W 6500K be better than say an 11W 6400K? Or even would a 15W be too powerful?

I'm having a hard time finding a single CFL reflector with the holder cap which isn't design for hydroponics and costs £££!

Would lining the inside of the lid with aluminium foil suffice?

I guess it wouldn't be anywhere as good as a dedicated reflector, but it'll be better than nothing.. and if I was to get the 15W bulb maybe losing a little of the light into the lid wouldn't be such a bad thing...

Thanks for all your advice so far! It's been of great assistance!

EDIT:

How about multiple spotlight type bulbs?

There are loads of low wattage MR16 type spot lamp LED bulbs for sale with 6500K temp...

Could I get like 3x4W and have them spaced out evenly in the lid and that work out ok for everyone in the water?

I thought this was a smaller tank (6.5g)?

The 15w/6500K would be my choice and don't get caught up in the "cool daylight" term, it's a marketing tool. If they wanted to target my 13 year old daughter it'd read "super awesome daylight" lol.

With 15w on a small tank, most any light fixure will work and yes, a foil lined reflector is an option that's been done before.

Yea it is rather small... 6.6 gal(UK) or approx. 8 gal(US)...

So as long as its 6500K then their colour description is pretty much defunct?

My new hood is en route so I may wait until I actually have it in my hands to see how much room I have to play with, then take a walk to my local hardware store and see what they have in the way of fixtures and fittings!

Foil lining will be my base case then, I'll try and improve on it!

I just ordered one of those 6500K 15W bulbs to replace my current bedroom lamp, will give me a good impression of just what to expect.. It's replacing a standard (2000K?!?!) 11W CFL that looks pretty old!

What are people opinions on the automatic timer switches?

Yea it is rather small... 6.6 gal(UK) or approx. 8 gal(US)...

So as long as its 6500K then their colour description is pretty much defunct?

My new hood is en route so I may wait until I actually have it in my hands to see how much room I have to play with, then take a walk to my local hardware store and see what they have in the way of fixtures and fittings!

Foil lining will be my base case then, I'll try and improve on it!

I just ordered one of those 6500K 15W bulbs to replace my current bedroom lamp, will give me a good impression of just what to expect.. It's replacing a standard (2000K?!?!) 11W CFL that looks pretty old!

What are people opinions on the automatic timer switches?

On the color spectrum scale, 6500K is 6500K no matter what polish the copywriter puts on it lol.

Timers are a must for me, turning on/off 4 tanks a day on a specific schedule would be impossible.

that's true but it seems like there is variance in each manufacturers idea of what 6500k is. Go somewhere like HD where they have all the bulbs on display and turn them on side by side, some look totally different, even though they shouldnt.

I see... I'll try and have a look about at different bulbs, but am pretty limited with places to look around here..

Do you use any blue moon lighting overnight at all?

i have a PC fixture on my bowfront that has 2 blue LED moonlights, they are rather dim, but you can see in the tank if all the lights in the room are off.

It's okay, I guess, not really something I've ever been into. Apparently they have cheap LED (submersible?) rope lights on Ebay, so it'd be easy enough to rig something up.

yea its those cheap light ropes that fist really caught my attention..

do you leave them on all night and do the fish etc. get the rest they need when the blue light is on..

I like the idea if being able to see them at night but if it means they're stressed due to it never being properky dark id rather not...

Or could you use them as a sunset/sunrise simulator? say have 2/3 hours of LED early morn, then the day of normal light, then another 2/3 hours of LED in the evening?

The fish can adapt to whatever lighting you give them. They will find a dark place in the tank to crash if they really want to.

I mean you could try to simulate sunrise, sunset, and all that if you really want, but I just think its unnecessary.

fair enough... I may well get fiddling with moonlighting once I've got the sunlight sorted...

Just awaiting my hood now!

Well my new hood arrive a few days ago, and it had a load of room and some pre-drilled mounting holes for lights! Ordered a holder from eBay (looked in the local hardware stores but none of them had what I needed), and that came today too!

Got an 11W 6400K CFL installed...

My my my what a difference!

Colours are deeper! Everything's brighter! Looks brilliant with new lighting in!

A big thank you to everyone who contributed in the thread, you were all a big help!

So small yet so powerful!

Got room in the other end of the hood too if ever I need more power!

Lets hope this gives the plants and moss the boost they all need!

To be honest I'm not sure it needs it...

Plus it would have to be a funny shaped...

If I see one that looks like it'll fit I'll grab it and have a go with it but I'm not too fussed about looking for one...

Well my new hood arrive a few days ago, and it had a load of room and some pre-drilled mounting holes for lights! Ordered a holder from eBay (looked in the local hardware stores but none of them had what I needed), and that came today too!

Got an 11W 6400K CFL installed...

My my my what a difference!

Colours are deeper! Everything's brighter! Looks brilliant with new lighting in!

A big thank you to everyone who contributed in the thread, you were all a big help!

So small yet so powerful!

Got room in the other end of the hood too if ever I need more power!

Lets hope this gives the plants and moss the boost they all need!

Looks good, nice DIY (y).

I don't think I've ever seen a CFL that small, post a link to it please (if you have one), I have a small lamp that needs a bulb that size.

Back
Top Bottom