What Made You Want A Freshwater Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
43 is way toooo young to have a stroke. I hope you are on the mend, without to much residual damage by the stroke. Although April wasn't that long ago.

Aquariums are amazing therapy, they help to clear out the cobwebs. I have a family of disabled. Casey as I said has Aspergers Syndrome, he was diagnosed at 4 years old. His Mom, Megan, my daughter has Fibromyalgia, IBS, And GAD. And I've had 5 low back surgeries and 1 hernia surgery. So our 4 tanks are well watched on a daily basis.

The PWC (partial water changes) can be a pain at times but it's well worth the extra pain, to have healthy happier fish.
What kind of fish do you have? And how big is your tank/tanks? Do you have any photos? If so, please post.
For now I have a 55g in Casey's room with 14 Mbuna and a BN Pleco and a 10g QT with 4 Black Skirt Tetra. And In he living room we have a 55g Angelfish tank with 2 Koi Angels, 2 Gold Veil tail Angels and 2 Half Black Blushing Angels and 1 12" gold Common Pleco that we will be returning to the FS to re-home and trade for 3 long fin Albino BN Plecos, and a 10g with 16, 6 week old known fry (could be more) and 2 Green Dragon BN Plecos.
As you can see our hands are full but in the long run it makes my house a calmer home for all of us.
We are thinking of adding a 29g breeder/fry tank, in my room. Since our fish seem to keep having more fish.
One would think that working in a zoo would be a fun low stress kind of job, apparently not

You are in our prayers for a full recovery, from your stroke.(y)

Fully recovered from stroke. No permanent damage. It was caught very quickly. I was at the hospital inside of an hour.

Not working at the zoo now. Haven't been in that field for about 12 years. My stress comes from somewhere else altogether. My daughter has been diagnosed with a serious anxiety disorder. We have been through inpatient treatment. Between that and the fact that treatment ate our finances alive, I have just come apart at the seams. It's been the roughest year of my life. Money issues and your kids hurting aren't fun - much less at the same time.

I have a 55 gallon that kinda fell in my lap last week. A guy on Craigslist basically gave it away with filter, gravel, tank, stand, lights - everything. All of the big expenses have been covered for free. I have gotten gravel and water in it. The filter and heater are running. I collected driftwood down at the Mississippi River. I soaked them in bleach and have rinsed and soaked and emptied them several times. A friend at work brought me about 20 pieces of rock today for free. So I'm just getting started. I'm taking it slow and doing it right.

Fully recovered from stroke. No permanent damage. It was caught very quickly. I was at the hospital inside of an hour.

Not working at the zoo now. Haven't been in that field for about 12 years. My stress comes from somewhere else altogether. My daughter has been diagnosed with a serious anxiety disorder. We have been through inpatient treatment. Between that and the fact that treatment ate our finances alive, I have just come apart at the seams. It's been the roughest year of my life. Money issues and your kids hurting aren't fun - much less at the same time.

I have a 55 gallon that kinda fell in my lap last week. A guy on Craigslist basically gave it away with filter, gravel, tank, stand, lights - everything. All of the big expenses have been covered for free. I have gotten gravel and water in it. The filter and heater are running. I collected driftwood down at the Mississippi River. I soaked them in bleach and have rinsed and soaked and emptied them several times. A friend at work brought me about 20 pieces of rock today for free. So I'm just getting started. I'm taking it slow and doing it right.

I'm glad to hear no permanent damage.
I soooo understand about stress and your kids hurting. Doctors can't seem to do squat about any type of anxiety disorder and even though they don't fix a thing, they still get to charge you everything you have and then some.
They started my daughter on all kinds of anti-depressant meds that only made her hair fall out and have her gain 220 lbs. She's off of all of it and has lost almost all the weight and her hair grew back. And as long as she has her diazepam (Valium, Xanax, Klonopin) she does OK. All that other stuff just made her a lot worse.
How old is your daughter? Is she doing any better?
It's great you were able to get all that stuff so cheap/free.
If you ever feel like venting to someone that knows what your going through, please feel free to PM me anytime. It will keep us out of trouble on AA if we don't talk about it here.
Still in our prayers (y)

I'm sure my story isn't much different than some others out there. I've had a long affection for water in general. Beaches are my escape place, and there's an island not too far from us that my wife and I visit off season to get away from it all.

As I've learned more about the plight of our waters through charities I give to, my desire to connect more closely has intensified. I now participate in International Coastal Cleanup Day annually (as does at least one of my daughters).

Connect that to the fact I work from a home office. It's nearly all online and phone work with some travel. I tried keeping our kitten in my office for company, but she's too curious. When she started trying to chew the wires for our home network, I knew that wasn't going to work out.

Enter the idea of having a tank in my office. I had plenty of space on a very sturdy solid wood desk in my office for a 10g setup. So I bought the tank as a kit and the aquarium bug took hold.

My family thinks I'm nuts and wonders when this fad will end. But I don't see that happening. I'm already thinking about the odds of getting a 30g or so around the holidays. We'll see how that all works out.

kjwcpm said:
I'm sure my story isn't much different than some others out there. I've had a long affection for water in general. Beaches are my escape place, and there's an island not too far from us that my wife and I visit off season to get away from it all.

As I've learned more about the plight of our waters through charities I give to, my desire to connect more closely has intensified. I now participate in International Coastal Cleanup Day annually (as does at least one of my daughters).

Connect that to the fact I work from a home office. It's nearly all online and phone work with some travel. I tried keeping our kitten in my office for company, but she's too curious. When she started trying to chew the wires for our home network, I knew that wasn't going to work out.

Enter the idea of having a tank in my office. I had plenty of space on a very sturdy solid wood desk in my office for a 10g setup. So I bought the tank as a kit and the aquarium bug took hold.

My family thinks I'm nuts and wonders when this fad will end. But I don't see that happening. I'm already thinking about the odds of getting a 30g or so around the holidays. We'll see how that all works out.

It gets very addictive! My girlfriend loves my tanks, but always says she can't believe how much time & effort it takes. I love it though & enjoy tinkering!

If you get a bigger tank, try a 55g, it's a good beginning. The 55g is easier to maintain the water and you greatly increase your choices in what kind of fish you can have. Plus making baby steps will end up costing you.
Now that you have a 10g, you'd love a 30g, once you get the 30g you'll wish you'd gotten the 50-60g and so on.
I speak from experience, I started with a 10g and now I have 2-10g and 2-55g tank. And I'm cruising craigslist/e-Bay for a 75g and a 90g to upgrade my 2-55g. I wish I had just bought the 75 & 90g to start with. It would have saved me a lot money in the long run.
It's of course your choice, but it sounds like your loving your little tank. And you can ask anyone here on AA, this hobby is very addicting and you'll soon outgrow the smaller tanks.
Either way, welcome to AA and the hobby it's self. We're happy to have you. Good luck & have fun.

WendiDell said:
If you get a bigger tank, try a 55g, it's a good beginning. The 55g is easier to maintain the water and you greatly increase your choices in what kind of fish you can have. Plus making baby steps will end up costing you.
Now that you have a 10g, you'd love a 30g, once you get the 30g you'll wish you'd gotten the 50-60g and so on.
I speak from experience, I started with a 10g and now I have 2-10g and 2-55g tank. And I'm cruising craigslist/e-Bay for a 75g and a 90g to upgrade my 2-55g. I wish I had just bought the 75 & 90g to start with. It would have saved me a lot money in the long run.
It's of course your choice, but it sounds like your loving your little tank. And you can ask anyone here on AA, this hobby is very addicting and you'll soon outgrow the smaller tanks.
Either way, welcome to AA and the hobby it's self. We're happy to have you. Good luck & have fun.

Very well put :)

I got a 20 gal a few weeks ago from a pal who no longer wanted it, it has six tiger barbs , I just love watching them zip around the tank, so last week I bought a 40 gal (second hand), the stand needed a paint and will have to buy new filter and heater and rocks and stuff, I am a novice so I wan't the tank to look good but natural , I will need to cycle the tank not sure what the best way is to do it, anyway it's the same old story had a tank when I was young but didn't realy know anything about keeping fish, now I'm back into it I can honestly say I'm hooked!.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110711_200213.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110711_200213.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 189
  • ForumRunner_20110711_200803.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110711_200803.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 183
well what made me get both of my aquariums is the fact when i got my 55 gallon fish tank i was so happy and after awhile i got a pleco and his name was ugi idk why i named him that he got around 12 inches then died after 6 years of having him now all i have are vanilla and chocolate then corky the smallest of them all but what realy made me want to get a fresh water aquarium was the oppurtunity to take a big responsiblity my mom told me that i had to do all the stuff on my own and i was 7 when i got my 55 and now im 14 but i have had many experiences with aggressive, community, and semi aggressive the worst i had was two oscars they got too big for my aquarium so i had to get rid of them as for my 10 gallon tank i just recently got i have two clams ones name is shelder and another ones name is gary but then i have a alge eater with no name then a african leaf guarami which is still small after having him two years in the big tank then in the little one just recently he is mearly about 1.6 inches i got a hole bunch of other things to tell but its just to much to tell :)(y)

I have had a ton of stress in my life in the past 2 years. I have been divorced, was homeless for a bit, moved like 5 times, my ex moved my kids 700 miles away so I only get to spend time with them once a year for any real amount of time. got married, car died and had to buy a new one, got my wife pregnant. Not saying it was all bad, but it was all very stressful. I feel a nice aquarium might be the answer. I really wanted a saltwater tank with a sea urchin and some exotics including bio luminescent creatures... but it was just way too expensive. Hence freshwater aquariums are becoming part of my everyday life.

I had a new brother & sister-in-law who were moving south. They couldn't take their 29 gallon tank with a huge loach in it along, but could I take care of it? Well, sure! Anything for my new husband's brother & his wife! I didn't care about fish & would never have chosen to have any aquarium in my care but was trying to be kind. Well....
What I'd taken for a dark blob in water turned out to be a fish with a personality! He was old & far too large for his tank but after some online research I got him a new 55 gallon home and watched him come to life. A little research led to another big tank & some cichlids to call it home. They dined on the babies my new mollies constantly provided in their 29 gallon home.
Now I'm divorced, the ex has custody of our tanks & I just recently got the nerve to purchase a tiny 12 gallon Eclipse that now houses 3 guppy boys.
What a pleasure to come home from work & have these guys to look after, care for & relax with! How great to have little living things to worry about so i'm not just constantly thinking about my self & situation.
I'm so glad I decided to take on that first 29 gallon tank! How could I have known it'd be such an important part of my being happy so many years later?

I was looking in to getting a Bearded Dragon because I wanted some kind of animal to take care of. They require a lot of effort so I decided against it. I instead decided on fish and saw 2 African Cichlids that I really liked. I didn't know anything about them before then, and I didn't even know how to pronounce their name. This was a year or so ago. I still have one of the original fish(knock very very hard on wood).

When I lived in Ohio I had a roommate who had an aquarium and i fell in love with it. Now years later I have bought my own house and one of the first things I did was get an aquarium. It is a 36 gallon corner tank it is a well plant community tank with Black Skirts, Cherry Barbs, Black Neons and a Bristle Nose Pleco. I am Currently setting up a 60 gallon that I plan on making a Pictus Catfish set up. Building my own stand and taking my time with it.

I want a saltwater tank but im starting freshwater to get some fish care under my belt before buying costly and cool fish

It all started two years ago...
My brother came home from college and bought me a 2.5 gal tank with a 0.13 cent goldfish in it. I knew absolutely nothing about fish and believed that 100% water changes were the best and only when the tank was dirty. And I had no filter. Amazingly that same golfish is alive today! In its own 20 gal long tank and with a 55 gal filter. I will eventually buy it its own 55 gal tank! This first experience got me into fish care and keeping because it is fascinating! I have since learned a lot, both on my own and doing research. I now have multiple tanks, a semi-planted 55 gal tropical tank with cardinal tetras, bloodfin tetras, and ottos, my 20 gal long with my good luck goldfish, a cycling 20 gal tall, an empty 20 gal long, an empty ten gal, and my original 2.5 gal (empty)! I plan on owning a triple digit aquarium and maybe some cichlids one day. If I ever win the lottery I plan on buying a red tailed catfish with a huge tank!

It all started two years ago...
My brother came home from college and bought me a 2.5 gal tank with a 0.13 cent goldfish in it. I knew absolutely nothing about fish and believed that 100% water changes were the best and only when the tank was dirty. And I had no filter. Amazingly that same golfish is alive today! In its own 20 gal long tank and with a 55 gal filter. I will eventually buy it its own 55 gal tank! This first experience got me into fish care and keeping because it is fascinating! I have since learned a lot, both on my own and doing research. I now have multiple tanks, a semi-planted 55 gal tropical tank with cardinal tetras, bloodfin tetras, and ottos, my 20 gal long with my good luck goldfish, a cycling 20 gal tall, an empty 20 gal long, an empty ten gal, and my original 2.5 gal (empty)! I plan on owning a triple digit aquarium and maybe some cichlids one day. If I ever win the lottery I plan on buying a red tailed catfish with a huge tank!

Addicting isn't it?

Oh where to start lol? Well mine addiction started when I was a little kid. I grew up in Miami with a diver as a dad. We use to visit the Keys every other weekend. That peaked my interest. My dad had a FOWLR tank when I was probably 8. Needless to say, I found out how expensive but beautiful the hobby was. Killed his tank a few times. Once I thought the fish were thirsty so I gave them a quart of OJ lol after that I decided to clean the tank with Windex like I saw my dad do, only I cleaned the inside too

So years later I got my first 10g tropical tank. As I got older the tanks got bigger and more expensive. Through the years I've had tanks from a 1g to 125g. Goldfish to reef, cichlids to sharks and lionfish. At one point I had 10 tanks at once. What can I say? I love fish!

As of now I have a 55g that's starting up to be a Malawi tank. Soon when I get my house I plan to do either a 200g cichlid tank or I'll go reef again but it'll be a built in the wall show tank.

That's my story in the short.

I'm a fellow addict, I have 4 & trying for 2 more (bigger of course).

I dont even want to count all the empty tanks I have lol. soo many 20s for no reason. I also want a larger one (than my 55), something in the triple digits

Back
Top Bottom