What Made You Want A Freshwater Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
one of my cousins had been posting pictures of her betta fish on facebook. they looked so cute and sweet and I had some money so I went to the petstore and picked a 1g tank for a betta after some research I realized that the tank was to small so I upgraded to a 5g then while I was at the store getting plants for the 5g I saw a Betta that was slightly deformed just enought that nobody would have bought him.. I then bought another 5g tank for him... that was about 2 months ago. tomorrow I'm getting a 3g for a female betta that is being bullied in my cousin's sorority... the next tank I'll get will be a 20-30g for a sorority of my own... then a 75g for an oscar.. then a 55g for a hillstream loach and some white cloud minnows... I'm only 13 now but I'm gonna have to go to college somewhere near where I live now so I can take my fish with me!

A sorority? Like a bunch of female bettas in a big tank? Thats a large tank. How many u getting to go in there? I have three females together right now....I guess I have a sorority lol

if I get a 30g I'll do 10 girls and 6 pygmy cories and in a 20g I'll do 10 girls!

Well when I was like nine I really wanted a black Moore and so for Christmas I got a ten gallon fish tank and we ended up getting six tetras and then we moved out of state so we had to get rid of the fish and break down the tank...and then in October of 2011 i bought a betta from Walmart because I felt bad for it and I could bring it into my bio class for extra credit and I didn't know anything about fish so I just had it in a vase and then put it in a one and a half critter carrier and then for Christmas this year I gotta 6 gallon fluval edge and put my betta in there with some zebra danios and then I turned my empt 20 gallon long tank into a fish tank and put my zebra danios in there with some kuhli loaches and a dwarf gourami which died a few months later and I just started a betta sorority in there

Started 1 years ago from a 5gallon betta aquarium to an 60gallon cichlid aquarium ! i remember i thought when i got my 5 gallon that it was so big and neat :)

-Guppies

if I get a 30g I'll do 10 girls and 6 pygmy cories and in a 20g I'll do 10 girls!

Sry I left for a while. Im doing what you are doing. I always had males but those poor females hardly anyone buys them. I am gonna use my 20 gallon. I bought three girls from petsmart and one died from belly bloat and other died from ich and I have one left in quarantine......didnt start off too good. Stupid pet stores.
These r pics fromy community tank. I havnt set theres up yet. Red girl is the one I have now along withba blackish female.
ForumRunner_20130608_111928.jpg

ForumRunner_20130608_112026.jpg

ForumRunner_20130608_112010.jpg

Saltwater is a pain thats why. Just kidding! I've had both, freshwater is just less time consuming. I don't load my tank up to capacity, so I have almost no maintenance whatsoever other than the basics.:fish2:

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to a carnival, got two goldfish, one for me, one for my brother. They died within weeks in a one gallon. Then bought 3 platy. One is left, doing fine for quite some time. I have tons of fish knowledge now but no big tanks yet.

My first tank was a very unsuccessful 3 gallon i got as a birthday present in third grade, with platys and honey gouramis. I always had bettas, but took a break from actual aquariums until I was given some goldfish and a ten gallon. That tank failed, but I was hooked on fish by that point. A relative gave me a 20 gallon aquarium, and in several years I was keeping a 55 gallon discus community, and several other planted, community,and species tanks. I now keep geckos in the 55, but after a short break am just as obsessed with freshwater fish as always and am maintaining a 20 and a 10 currently XD

I basically just wanted a hobby, and fish keeping was my choice. Since I am some what of a beginner, I chose freshwater.It is really easy and fun.

I've always been interested in animals.expeccially lizards so i started to get into fish about two years ago and i love bettas so i started saving bettas i just got two from walmart and im gonna breed em

I started off when my partner bought me an aquarium with two goldfish as a present not long after my 18th birthday :) I loved my goldfish and wanted more fish, and my dad and my mother in law (who have both kept tropical aquariums for years) both suggested I got another tank with a heater, and I could have a much bigger variety, so I did :) Money well spent, my fish are now my pride and joy!

Have had both fresh and salt over the years. Decided to go freshwater with my current tank because the two women that live with in my house (my gf and her mom) would easily kill $800 worth of saltwater fish simply by trying to dust the tank with Pledge. ;)

New to the forum,

Hi,
I have played around with aquariums nearly all my life. When I was a toddler, my Dad was raising and selling Tropical Fish from our basement, but we moved and he didn't have the space for Tropical Fish anymore. Then, as a teenager, I raised brick swordtails and sold them at fishstores in the area. Shortly after I got married, my wife and I purchased a 50 gallon aquarium, which as been pretty much in operation for over 30 years now.
I recently purchased a 120 gallon aquarium and am thinking about making the move up to Discus, but I haven't made up my mind. Well I have some time to do my homework because I am currently in Afghanistan working in support of our Military. When I get home, I will try to get my 50 gallon and the new 120 gallon aquarium back up and running.
I really love the tropical fish hobby and am glad to have stumbled across this forum. Though I have had tropical fish nearly all my life, I still feel like I am a novice when I read some of the articles and stories people post.

Thanks!

JimBob1982

What got me into fish was every time I went to the pet store I would go into the fish section to see the fish. I always wanted to keep fish. I have a zoo at home but I just wanted to get into fish. So I got this betta. He lives in this gallon set up. I got him a female lady friend but... it was a total high school relationship. Lovey dovey in the beginning then nasty at the end. I gave the female away to a friend who lost her goldfish. Now he's a very grumpy fish that stalks me around the room. But anyways. I ended up getting this 10 gallon 2 weeks ago. I put in a fancy goldfish and it died. I searched online continuously to figure out what I did wrong. Then I learned about cycling and how goldfish aren't that great for a cycle. So I got Zebra Danios. I love them. Then today I fell in love with Juli corys. My tank doesn't have fish. It has a group of clowns.

The cycling process has been going great as well. Testing often and plenty of water changes. The fish are healthy and hilarious

My parents bought a 55 gallon to start, now in my room there are two tanks, a 29 gallon and a betta tank

My dad decided to get a 40 gallon reef, which meant lots of research, and it turned out I liked the research because I liked learning about fish, meaning that I liked fish, that was 'bout three months ago, and long story short I bought ten gallon kit bout two weeks ago.

My desire to keep fish in an aquarium developed at a young age. My father and I traveled to visit my brother while he was stationed at MCAS Cheery Point. My brother has an over the top DIY attitude, and a true love for the Oscar. In his living room he had built a 900 gallon aquarium specifically for his Oscar fish. I remember being captivated as I sat in front of my brother's aquarium hour after hour. When my father and I arrived home I started begging for my first aquarium. However, my first aquarium was not a 900 gallon monster like my brother's. Instead, I received a 1.5 gallon fish bowl, and my first Gold Fish. Once I proved that I could keep a Gold Fish alive I was given a 20 gallon tall aquarium, and eventually a 40 gallon flat back hexagon aquarium that I still own today. That is why and how I started this fascinating journey.

-AquaticBob

started of with two bettas in a 1/2 gallon with a separator because my girlfriend and i liked them but after about two weeks i learned way more about bettas and moved them to two 5.5s for six months and just recently moved them into a 10g with separator thats what made me start and now i have a 20 high planted, 20 long going to be getting some dwarf cichlids, 2.5 with a growing baby betta, 5.5 with a veiltale, and turning a 5.5 into a dwarf puffer tank haha also got a 55 during the dollar per gallon sale and going to be turning it into a cichlid tank when i get enough money for all the other supplies :] glad my girlfriend is in love with the fish too!

Back
Top Bottom