What Made You Want A Freshwater Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I started off wanting a turtle but didn't want the commitment of caring for them so I got a fancy oranda goldfish kept him for a few months and set my eyes on freshwater tropical fish some of the coulers on some of the fish are amazing like the sailfin Molly's ans shapes of the fish eg the angelfish look stunning my first tropical fish was my Mexican sailfin Molly named mally ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395678480.683642.jpg

100 years ago a friend had a 10 gal tank. had a little corner box filter some gravel and that was about all. he got tired of the tank and gave it to me. been at it ever since, Something about a fish makes me smile.

100 years ago a friend had a 10 gal tank. had a little corner box filter some gravel and that was about all. he got tired of the tank and gave it to me. been at it ever since, Something about a fish makes me smile.

100 years eh? :D

I have two freshwater tanks with goldfish but I really want to convert my 14 gallon to a saltwater tank as I love saltwater.

Always found fish fascinating. My dad had this goldfish he got for living room decoration (and so we'd stop asking for a dog). One winter the water in the bowl froze with the fish in it, and the fish still survived just fine, ever since wanted a bigger aquarium set up and am finally able to do it :).

Watching fish swimming around makes me relax. Fish are great for stress!

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All I wanted was a goldfish

My family never kept fish as a child. At some point around 15-16 my sister got a beta it lived for a few months I had nothing to do with it.
Me and the wife moved in together, get a kitten (wanted a dog, but it's not fair for a puppy in an apartment so a cat it was).
7 years and we moved into a house, finally got a dog.
I decide I want a goldfish, cause I like fancy goldfish every time we go to the petstore I look at the fish.
I just wanted a bowl for a goldfish. So I filled a 3 gallon vase with water, some pebbles, a bit of gravel, stuck a fake plant in and the cat started to drink out of it.
My cat got a decorative drinking fountain that she loves as the water is always moving for her. Great she owns that now.
Didn't get the goldfish.
So okay we have to get a tank with a lid and all that (lights better filterthan bowl) but we're moving again soon. Another year goes by.
So we move again and I put off the tank.
A week after moving we go get dog food, there was a nicer 30gal fluval kit on clearance 75% off. So we buy it. My wife has kept a couple of tanks before so she knows what i'm in for.
So we get it home, I open the box and inside is a 80 page guide... Wife makes me read the whole thing before I can set the tank up. Around page 25 I realize:
this is going to take months to cycle (i've already waited for a couple of years)
the book stand I was planning on using will not hold the weight
Gold fish are dirty and I can either have 2 goldfish for 2 years and then find a home for them or I can give up on the gold fish and get a whole bunch other fish
So I reinforced the stand (2 by 4s, plywood, melamine and paint it all black tank is just sitting in a box for 2 days)
Thanks to this forum I found a way to speed my cycle
Start cycling with plants and seeded media (handful of gravel, filter squeezings into a paper towel in a ziplock bag from LFS) whole tank was good to go in less than a week.
I still want a goldfish but that might have to wait for a few years till I can get my hands on an excavator and build a decent pond...

I can see you've done your homework. I have a 50gal. tank with 4 common goldfish, three I rescued off of a parking block behind our grocery store, & a spotted pleco. They were all an inch or two, now the goldfish are 3" to 7" and the pleco is 12". Check out a store called "Strictly Fish" if you have one in your area, they specialize in big fish. Regards,
Mike.

I got a goldfish at fair at 7 yrs old came home put it in a 1/2 gallon filtered tank and changed its water every day and Mr. Who lived for 3 yrs. I got my first big tank at 10 it was a 15 gallon with the works lol and I kept guppies and a betta in it. I got my 280 reef tank at 15 yrs old and kept it running up until 2012 than sold it. I now live in a studio and I just ordered a custom 20 gallon from Glasscages.com and it should be here by the end of May:).

I'm not a fan of any animal with more legs than me - therefore what better idea is there than to get an animal with no legs at all!!

The day care (house) i went to after school had fish tanks. I stared at them all the time. Freshwater. In one tank 250g was 2 oscars and a silver arowana. Years later i got my 100gallon out front of someones house getting rid of it. I had Oscars and a pleco for a few years.

Now i have my own house and have the same 100g with mbuna, 80g soon to be victorian, 40g breeder, and a 30 g :)

I love staring at fish so i can basically do it in every room of my house now. ???

my mother bought me a tall 20 gallon about 25 years ago.....i have had it filled off and on. i recently moved up to a 46 bow front.....i have it in my office. it was a salt water tank with the previous owner......but i don't like the idea of the upkeep.....and plus, when they die i would hate to flush a $20 fish....the fresh water is very easy to upkeep....and i like all the varieties of freshwater fish

Back
Top Bottom