What Made You Want A Freshwater Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
plus the fish give me something to look at and divert my attention to during my work day....im finding it cool because my mollies are starting to have babies.....

What do you do to keep them so healthy - my plants pale to your green beauties!

My set up is highlight high-tech tank. I do big water changes every 4th day with ferts. I have a pH controller for my CO2 system. The light fixture itself has a timer built into it. I like to keep my tank heavily planted and under stock that helps. I would say dirt is the biggest reason the plants look and grow the way they do. I capped with eco-complete flourish mix. I appreciate the compliment!?

Ps psyched not one of these plants are fake.

Lol no reason to apologize. It's cool?. I I use to have fake plants in my 36 bow face but my 75 I liked the thought of a complete ecosystem all real all natural look.

Sand isn't the best substrate for root plants but you could use heavy water column feeders like Hogwarts & or Anubias types

What made me want a freshwater aquarium?

Because salt was too expensive. Now that I have one, I would never give up fresh water. Between my massive African Cichlid tank, my tropical and community tanks and my betta/dwarf frog tank. I am addicted to fresh water.
Hoping to start either a 125-200 gallon SA, or another 30 gallon dwarf Cichlid or she'll dweller tank next year.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399770749.033526.jpg
Simply ecstatic was on a waiting list for 3 months for this guy!!!

Nice, thanks! I actually have a mini version of that same lily. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had a little 10g, to replace the dead betta that suicided from his 1g bowl.

So I took a look on google images, and it give me the idea to have a hightech planted 30g.

29g
2x39W T5HO 6700K°
Pressurized CO2 system with 5lb cylinder.
Eheim 2213 for filtration

Now it's a jungle.
835428IMG18022.jpg

the sound of the filter and air pump help me fall asleep at night. also as soon as I got my first fish I kept getting more upgrading tanks getting better more expensive exotic fish from cichlids to killifish which are two types of fish I am very fond of. then theres the fact that you can design you tank however you want.. planted, not planted, different colors.... and also salt is a lot more involved and more expensive!

For me, I babysat a betta fish 2wice for a friend-of-the-family and adopted a betta fish from the shelter while doing a job assessment.

I lost my 10 year old dog to a mysterious illness and was grieving bad. I thought of a betta to rescue so then I made sure she had a nice tank 5.5 gallon to play and feel free. She is so smart and curious at times it seems we laugh together. I love her so much it is therapy for my grieving. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Been reading through theses and bough I'd add my story. Like a lot of others I started off buying a betta. It's was in a vase as a dorm decoration. Hen I started reading about Bettas and their care (bass ackwards I know) and realized I was torturing the poor thing. So before I knew it I had a 10 Gal set up and eventually added a couple cories. I had to give that tank to friend because I feared the fish couldn't handle a three hour drive home from school.

When I got my own place after college I set up he 29 Gal I have now. After a tragic weeklong winter blackout killed most of the inhabitants my current crew has been going strong for almost 3 years! I still find my fish beautiful and so relaxing to watch go about their little fishy lives.

Back
Top Bottom