What Made You Want A Freshwater Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last summer i went fishing for the first time. I got hooked so much that i did it every day for a half a year then i got a 10 gallon freshwater tank i had that for 4 months. Tank crashed and everything died do to power outages. So a month later i decided to try again and go big. Got a 125 gallon. Researched alot about the nitrogen cycle and finally got some fish. They have been doing awesome for about 5 months. Then 2 months ago i saw a saltwater reef and the addiction went even further. To me spending all my free time researching reefs and set up my own

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well my mom and dad got me into it.. mainly my mom because my dad died when I turned 12. They both got a 30 long gallon tank when I was around 8 years old and my mom got me my 27g hexagon when I was like 14-15.. I still have both of those tanks too.. The 30g is about 21 years old and I have African cichlids in it, and my hex has livebearers and tetra's.. And my mom got into fish tanks from her mom.. her mom had like a 100g fish tank she said when she was a kid. So its kinda been a generational thing

Then I got my 55g, then my 2.5g betta and 5.5g betta, then my 10g bowfront and my 44g pentagon... My next tank down the road will be a big tank though.. I want something like 150-200 gallons.. I've been eye balling the one in my local petsmart that's on sale for $600

It all started with my son winning a gold fish at the fair. 3 tank upgrades later and i'm fully planted with adfs and rcs. Sadly the goldfish that started it all didn't stay with us long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had one after I moved out of my parents. Loved it!
I had to sell everything due to moving across the state. I missed it. When my husband and I bought a house I decided to get a larger one 120 g
I find it therapeutic, I find my self watching the fish more than I do tv.
I chose freshwater feeling like I can tackle it easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm really new at this !
A friend introduced me to his tropical aquarium about 6months ago. It was pretty nice. I was pretty impressed. Then we went down to a local aquarium supply shop... It was like sea world . I just had to have a go !! So right there I bought a small 25ltr tank & all the filters etc . A few danios later i was into it. Now I have a small 12ltr tank on my work desk ! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427385274.755063.jpgphoto attached. Just setting it up. A new 55ltr tank in my living room . I really went all out on this one . I want to plant so bought all the stuff . Seneye reef ,co2 set .Now I'm learning from you guys here & the great people at seahorse aquarium Dublin. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427385614.243728.jpghome tank. I'd love to do a marine tank but that's way down the road ;)

Honestly, because I was too afraid to attempt a salt water haha. I got my first tank all of my own in the 9th grade for Christmas. At that age I was far to scared to attempt a salt water and also couldn't afford it on a high schoolers McDonalds budget. I am now 26 and have been breading Fancy Guppies for years. My fiancé and I do want to try a salt water tank but I still haven't gotten up the courage to try it yet. My ultimate goal is to move on to breeding sting rays. Well, actually I want to buy a Sea World because its the only place I know of that I can swim with the most beautiful creatures that I have ever laid eyes on, The Orca, but one step at a time. :)

Well, i had an aquarium in the living room, a 10 gallon, so, the only fish in it died about after a year, and i got some new fish, but were killed (exept for an emerald green cory catfish) thanks to a disease (Ich) So i went to the store and was setting up a new tank (wich developed into a 55 long predator tank... and here we are today. (the cory is still alive BTW)

I started out as a eight year old in 2008 needing to set up an aquarium for a boyscout project. At the time we had an empty old 10 gallon in the attic so I filled it with water and gravel and one or two rocks put a filter on it and a wire lid. I had a small creek behind my house where I caught a few mosquito fish and bluegill. I soon ended up upgrading to a 40 gallon breeder (also in the attic) I had the 40 gallon setup with bluegill, mosquito fish, goldfish, tetras, mollies, and platies. (Awful combination) than three years later we moved. It was an awful move we spent an entire summer at a townhouse, my grandparents house, and our neighbors house while they were in Africa while my 40 gallon was at another friends house. While the tank was at our friends house I lost a lot of fish. When we finally found a home I had my 40 gallon setup nicely for about a year. Then we went to St. John Island. I immediately fell in love with fish keeping especially saltwater fish. That fall I setup a 10 gallon saltwater damsel tank and a 55 gallon saltwater FOWLR with no light. We soon got a light and I attempted to start a reef. A few months later I changed the 10 gallon saltwater to freshwater and kept some black skirt tetras which were later moved to the 40 gallon by then I knew a lot more about fish and had gotten rid on the mollies, platies, and bluegill. A few months after that I drained the 40 gallon added more water sold all the fish except for my goldfish and bought new fish. Soon after came the sad day when my favorite goldfish died. He was a 7" albino. The Christmas of 2014 I received my 55 gallon cichlid tank and the day after Christmas I added rocks and fish and now I am starting the takedown of my saltwater tanks and going to soon turn into a freshwater only fish keeper. The End

I set my first 2 gallon hex up when i was 13, and put 4 platies in it. I wanted to set up an aquarium because id go to walmart and be fascinated by the decor. So i decided to set a small tank up. Initially, the psychological reason was that aquariums both reflect and absorb personality

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

HHHMMM...well, for me, it started with when I was a kid, and I would go down to my cousin's room and check out their aquarium(s). I learned recently he kept groupers. I vividly remember staring, fascinated. Lately, I've finally been able to pursue all my passions and interests like I really want to, and around half a year to a year ago, I thought all of a sudden "Say, I'd like a fish." That memory was in the back of my mind, I think, a dormant passion coming to the surface again.

I have a friend who's really into bettas and she suggested them as a beginner fish; then behold...poof!! One fell into my lap! A friends fish "Jesus Fish" lol I re-named his Zeus. He is a beautiful blue half moon, who I use as my avatar. I had to fix A LOT. She didn't care for the fish properly, just tossed him in...brace yourself...a 1600 ml MASON JAR!!! I was appalled. I I moved him almost immediately to a small bowl, than a bigger bowl not long after, as temporary homes, as I could not afford a tank at the time. I now have a 5.5 gallon tank for Zeus now. Now I have a red veil tail I've called Crimson Dynamo in a 2 gallon tank. I will move him to a 5.5 as well.

Funnily enough, I will probably be gifted another betta! If my brother doesn't want it, I will take it and put it in another 2 gallon tank.

These are all my beginning fish, and I hope to pursue my new passion further, with male swordtails as my next step. I also have an interest in zebra danios, neon tetras, guppies, puffer fish (later, as they require brackish water), and perhaps cherry barbs.

Wish I was into fish as much at 14 it would have saved me a lot of time!! :)

What made me want a freshwater aquarium is my grandpa had an angel tank put in his office it's a 75 and has several angelfish I can't remember how many. But seeing that slice of nature in person (professionally aqua scaped) inspired me to try on my own. I already have a passion for living things, therefor it fit very well. I love taking care of my fish AND plants and love learning more!

29g Community

10g Betta

Curiosity.
Expansion of knowledge.
Meeting like-minded cool people!
The endless array of possibilities :)

...in a nutshell.

New fish.

The fact that I wanted to raise bullfrog tadpoles caught in a local pond, got a 2.5 gallon for my birthday, decided I wanted fish, and here I am! :)

Im obsessed with water and I love the creatures that live in it. And I love supporting life in general...be it dog, fish or plant.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Because I wanted a crayfish ��ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432401818.013732.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom