What Made You Want A Freshwater Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After school (Sophomore year in college at the University of Minnesota) last semester, I started to have issues. I had no money, no ambition, no idea what I wanted for a major, no drive to do the work... long-term girlfriend dumped me very coldly-- sort of an 'apathy is worse than hate' type of situation-- that with what I've had diagnosed as some severe depression really made things unfun.

I talked to a family friend, who was also a therapist, and she asked if I was interested in anything. I said I wasn't, but she pushed me to really think about it. After a lot of thought, I sort of realized that I'd been somewhat captivated by aquariums and fish, and I told her that. She recommended that I start small, but I really needed to get involved with something I could have at least a little passion for.

I went out, got a 10-gallon tank and the essentials with 2-3 small fish. It really just became an instant obsession! I've been doing this for just 4 months now, and I still feel like I don't know anything, so it's just a constant search to better the tank.

Since the start of my tank, I've picked up a rainbow shark, bala shark, two oscars (didn't know growth potential when I got them :? ) and a pleco-- nothing over 2 inches so they're not too cramped yet. I've only lost a couple fish (one bala and one rainbow, leaving my others all alone :( ) and most of my problems come from over-changing the water.

Nutshell: I'm pretty zealous about this hobby, and I've become so attached to my fish that I'm searching for a deal on a 90-gallon, or so, set-up for my O's. If you see me around, any advice you want to send my way would be really appreciated.

Love the site.

during the last year of highschool I had a betta in a 1 gallon bowl, it lived for about 6 months and then died. I bought another one at the beginning of last semester, and it was fine until I went home for thanksgiving break and it went from ~80* nights (the heater was messed up) in my dorm to a ~68* night at my house the first night home and died. I probably would have thought about it when i got home, but I got home at about 4 in the morning after going to a concert and then driving from college to home so I just dragged my fish and plants inside and crashed. Over christmas I had a lot of extra money so I got a 10 gallon and started researching to do it the right way. I would have gone bigger but I don't have much room in my dorm and it will make moving the set up a little easier this summer. When I get an apartment next year I'll look at getting a larger tank, I want convicts :twisted:

I saw a beautiful Amazon, planted aquarium at a Public Library. The angelfish were swimming thru the plants. I loved it. I had to get one.

family was bugging me about getting a dog. I said no. Thought I be wise and take the easy way around the " I don't have a pet" issue and get an aquarium for my son for christmas. Guess, who got stuck with it and loves it too?????
This decision to opt for a low-maintenance pet literally haunts me now. Now I have a tank that just won't cycle. Who needs a gym, if they can do daily waterchanges for 4 weeks straight, but I just can't watch the poor fish pant below the surface if I don't do it. And my guppy lady teases me with not dropping. Maybe she is just constipated?
Yupp, that's my story and I am sticking to it.

My brother and sister-in-law at that time had a fish tank set up in their home when I moved in. They had a twenty gallon set up with angels, gouramis, neons, etc. and I wanted one as well. I got my first ten gallon tank as a seventeen year old, but it was an inferior setup. I had feeder goldfish that quickly died. I then found a guy that opened a small place, and bought a whole bunch of guppies from him, and they had babies, bought some plants too. They all died as well. went to live on my own at eighteen, and had a hamster that I bought pregnant somehow, and her babies died, and she wasn't all that friendly, so I gave her away. Went away to college, and wanted to get back into fishkeeping. Bought a 10g to keep some goldfish in, as well as some plants, and that went well for quite some time, till I moved yet again. Now I'm pretty settled with one 10g tank. It has two mystery snails, four cory's and four neons. Plants won't survive with the snails, not even hornwort!
That's it....one day I'd like to have a planted tank!
Michelle

Back when I was 21 my uncles had 55 gallon setups with Oscars and i found them to be fascinating fish. I decided to get a 55 galon set up and had a tank for a couple of years, Having more drive than money I lost interest due to expenses only. Now , some years later I got the bug again. Now, having enough money too match my passion its a totaly different situation. I now know a lot more about the hobby (passion) thanks to web sites like this. :D I am addicted to AA :smilecolros:

My sisters tanning salon

They always had a big old 55 gal or 75 gal(thats when i first started learning about fish i still dont know the size) and they had 4 oscars 2F and 2M and 1 parrotfish

i really liked that tank and THATS when i decided hmmm fish tanks gotta be cheap i guess having one would be a great time

turns out they are expensive as all H-E-double hockey sticks, well that depends if you get a good deal like i did :mrgreen: and my dad had many fish tanks in his day so all the time when i need help #1 i turn to you guys, but when i cant get a response fast enogh i have to ask my dad to compare opinions :D :D and now i am obsessed with this site, i love looking at all the pictures, especially the SW tanks (sorry guys, but im NOT a traitor :mrgreen: ) this site is just so fun i would advertise it all over television if i could :mrgreen: but sadly i cant :cry:

well i gotta go to church for the sunrise service im sorry i never saw this thread b4

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!

I grew up with fish tanks and when I moved and didn't have one, I realized how much I missed it. So my Mom at the time didn't want me to have one...she's not a fish fan...and we made a deal that if I could get a job at the LFS then I could get a tank...well that was a while ago and now I finally have some fish tanks again!

I once had a tetra die when I was 13, I put in in a bowl and performed the "swoosh" methd back and forth trying to make it come back to life, I was an idot

Great topic fishfreek! Here is my story.
I got my first fish in a carnival, it was a goldfish that had a fondness for ping pong balls being thrown at it. Ha ha, it lived many years after i put it in a goldfish aquarium wish just air flowing through it. Later I got a 10 gallond and fell in love. Now i have my first 55 gallon and am back in it better than ever. I will soon venture into the planted tank arena.

I have wanted an aquarium as long as I can remember, and I got my first one when I was 10 years old, a 5 gallon.. and I still have it! When i graduated high school I gave it to my little brother because I had plans to get a larger one... but couldn't afford it since im a full time student. Well, my husbands best friend recently gave us a 55 gallon with all the "extra's". It was his mom's and she kind of got tired of the hobby. I was estatic. I went to my LFS and they told me about the nitrogen cycle and after I set up and got things running, i went online and did a TON of research in the 3 weeks i was cycling. Now i have been adding about 2 new fish each week, but im fixing to move, so im not going to buy anymore until after the move. But I have had a blast and ive learned sooooo much. It really is a great hobby and a beautiful addition to my house. :silly:

It started out SOOO simple! A neighbor was selling a tank, she said it was a 10 gallon, so I got enough fish for a 10 gallon, and it ended up only being a 5 gallon tank. I only had a few fish at that point. Now and then, I'd throw in a couple new ones. Obviously, the fish started growing, and I knew I'd have to get something bigger. Another neighbor moved not long after that, and they gave us a 10 gallon tank that still had some fish in it. I transferred all the fish to the bigger 10 gallon tank. THEN I found out that tropicals and goldfish live in very different environments, so I set up an old tank I'd had for some small furry critters once. I just took the filter out of the 5 gallon, and added an air pump and a bubble bar. I put the goldfish and plecos in one tank, and left the tropicals in the other. I'm definately working towards a couple bigger tanks, and hopefully a pond at some point.

I think the reason I love my fish so much is because they're so quiet and don't make big messes for me to clean up after. I've got three sons between the ages of 7 and 15, so clean, quiet things are wonderful therapy! I've noticed I can sit there for over an hour, just watching my fish, and not realize that more than 15 or 20 minutes have gone by 8O

Freshwater aquarium is cheaper than salt water aquarium. lol
I will do salt water in the future though.
and plus all the LFS around here have no garantee on salt water fish.

I have always had a thing for fish. Either I was fishing in a local lake or river, visiting large aquariums like Seaworld, or watching some movie looking for the hidden fish tank; I have always wanted a tank of my own. Now my mother isn't looking over my shoulder to tell me no and I have a wife who likes to say yes. Maybe it ahs something with being brought up near the coast.

Cheaper. Also it was easier to move since I rent and do not own a home. Having a Saltwater tank in my opinion is very attractive and I would have loved, but moving it might have been more sensitive to shock. I went with freshwater and am starting to really enjoy it. Its a completly different environment but the real plants I just put in are really nice looking.

Mostly though, price.

I started out with a betta in a vase with a peace lily growing in it. I didn't like the size so I bought a 5 gal tank. Well then I had to get an algae eater because the tank needed it. Somehow I kept getting fish, so needed a bigger tank. It sort of snowballed, still is snowballing, and I want more tanks all the time. My plan is to turn my spare room into a fish room. With all sorts of FW tanks. First I have to build some seriously strong shelving that will withstand the weight, look good and still allow the fish to be accessed.

It all started many moons ago in a small town with a crooked sheriff .... ohh sorry, wrong story LOL . I like freshwater fish and the different variety of personalities they have. I have prior experience with Oscars when I was a teenager (long time ago) Don't know how I got along then not knowing much but I had wonderful experiences and no fish deaths. Didn't know the first thing about cycling then, just lucky I guess. Then through lack of time and money I sort of got out of it. Recently I started up again about 7 months ago. Salt water would be nice but looks to complicated :| Besides I have Blood Parrots (UNDYED ) and they are the most awesome fish I have kept so far. I think I might be coming down with MTS HELP ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom