What might this be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcdebb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have 3 Leporinus in a 75 gallon (mom's tank). They are approximately 5~6 inches in length. I've noticed what I can only explain as ulcers or open wounds on two of them. You can sometimes see the scales floating in the tank until they make it to the filter. I've removed the filter media and am treating with Melafix. that seems to be helping, but I dont know exactly what I'm treating here. Only other inhabitants are two Silver Dollars and they seem to be fine.

1tuf.jpg

I am very sure it is a ulcer. If you do have an extra tank I would move the injured fish in there. This means the other fish will not hurt the injured one. If an injured fish is extremely injured than the other fish will hurt it further and may even kill it. So it's better to separate that fish then treat it.

There is more than one of them with the ulcers, and separating them may do more harm than good. These fish are jumpers.

It looks like an ulcer add aquarium salt with meleafix and pimmafix

These are caused by the Aeromonas bacteria, which tend to affect a fish if it gets damaged, hence why your other fish are not affected. I suspect it could be the leporinus without the problem has been attacking the others as they can get aggressive towads other specimens of its own species. The melafix should help, or a more specific bactericide. Antibiotic tratment is sometimes needed to ensure proper healing.

These ulcers can sometimes remain for long periods before healing, so excellent water quality is paramount.

I've been staying on treatments and i do need to stay on top of the water changes. this is a 75 gallon and I have to tag water jugs over there for ro/di water. We both have well water and it's quite nasty. They are still doing well, but I suspect it was too much for the bala sharks that were in there not long ago.

Back
Top Bottom