What On Earth Is This???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I came back to my dorm after handling some college business and found this on my lava rock. I have never seen a snail like this before. Not the colors or the shell shape. What in the galaxy is this??? :blink:

Attachments

• DSC01101.jpg
    DSC01101.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 198
I know!! It looks almost alien-like!! It's tiny too!! A cute baby snail that looks nothing like what I'm finding on google images. I really don't wanna get rid of such a pretty little cute snail. I just need to know what kind it is and what to do for it. Any ideas what this is?

the fact that it is so small is kinda concerning in terms of the pond snail question. most pond snails are very small when they are first introduced. it is beautiful, but I would not risk it. I would either throw it out, or bag it up and bring it to your local trusted aquarium store to have them take a peek at it. identifying it through photo is too imperfect a method I would say. I hope it is not a pond snail though! it would make a pretty tank addition!

I don't have a place to take it to. I posted it here because I've never seen anything like it before and I can be confident the people answering aren't feeding me crap. I do not mean to come off as rude or inconsiderate. I looked up images of pond snails and all were dark earthy colors. I haven't seen any pictures that look like this snail. I really like this alien snail and don't wanna kill it. I just can't find anything that looks like it. I'll post some pictures I just took of it also. Maybe more pictures will help figure out what it is. And I'll keep taking more so hopefully its true identity will be discovered. lol.

Attachments

• snail 003.jpg
    snail 003.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 155
  • snail 002.jpg
    snail 002.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 136
It definitly looks like a pond snail. Very cute but can be distructive to live plants and can easily over populate a tank quickly.
Have you bought any new live plants recently? Alot of times thats how alot of people get them.

I had several pond snails with a odd almost whitish color to them. They are still pest snails so you know if you decide to keep it. Where there is one, there is usually more.

Alright. It came back to the front of the lava rock and I used a magnifying glass to get a bigger picture of it. I tried zooming in with my camera, but that just made it horribly blurry. I'll post those here.

I think I may have found what it is. I'll share the link I found. What do you guys think?

Baby Snails | Raymie's Zoo

Attachments

• DSC01106.jpg
    DSC01106.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC01107.jpg
    DSC01107.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC01108.jpg
    DSC01108.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 131
It definitly looks like a pond snail. Very cute but can be distructive to live plants and can easily over populate a tank quickly.
Have you bought any new live plants recently? Alot of times thats how alot of people get them.

I bought live plants last time the very beginning of March. Tuesday I received some java moss from a friend of mine. The tank it came from has been set up since August and has no snails. The plants I bought in March have thin stems. Idk how I could've missed it this long in a tank with a mostly green background, green plants, and black sand. It's entirely possible, but would totally baffle me.

I bought live plants last time the very beginning of March. Tuesday I received some java moss from a friend of mine. The tank it came from has been set up since August and has no snails. The plants I bought in March have thin stems. Idk how I could've missed it this long in a tank with a mostly green background, green plants, and black sand. It's entirely possible, but would totally baffle me.

Could have been some eggs on the plants you bought.
I have fresh and salt water tanks. My salt water tank is black sand with a black back ground and I have a baby turbo snail in there that I only see a few times a week. He is white and disapears.
I started the pond snails in one of my fresh water tanks on purpose as a food sorce for my puffer fish. I end up with alot of ivory and white ones.
I looked at the link you posted and you could possibly be right with the mystry snail too. It is hard to say.

I probably should've added that since I got those plants, I had to treat for Ick. The eggs/baby snail would've had to deal with several days of parasite meds added to the water. Idk if babies can handle that.

To me, looking at pictures, the pond snail shells looked more horny than this snail's shell, if that makes sense. Either way, it really loves that rock.

I will say that I have had a few blue mystery snails (they are my favorite) and all the ones I have seen have a dark blue foot as well as a lighter shell.

I will say that I have had a few blue mystery snails (they are my favorite) and all the ones I have seen have a dark blue foot as well as a lighter shell.

Dark blue foot? That's different.

Ok. The little dude won't leave the lava rock, so I can't get a good look at its body other than feelers. I'm afraid I'm gonna hurt him if I pull him off like I do my nerites. The nerites are tough as nails and have dealt with every mistake in the book that was supposed to kill them. They don't care as long as they get algae. It's pure freshwater, not brackish, so it's not their child, and if it were, it would be a cross between an olive and a zebra. What should I do to look at the little baby snail and not hurt him?

It's like an albino! It's cute. I say if you like it, and it isn't eating your plants, just leave it =)

I have snails who hitched a ride with my plants. They don't really bother me (they don't eat my plants!) so I just leave them. The population isn't out of control. Plus they clean my tank. I see their eggs but just let it be (my Khulis seem to snack on them!). I read they only get out of control if you over feed (as they eat/live on the excess), but I am new to all this.

An albino snail??? o_O

I have never heard of that. It's just a baby snail right now. All it does is move around the lava rock and occasionally get knocked off by Cory cat barbels.

It looks to me more like the inca snail baby in the link I posted. Whatever it truly is, I like it.

An albino snail??? o_O

I have never heard of that. It's just a baby snail right now. All it does is move around the lava rock and occasionally get knocked off by Cory cat barbels.

It looks to me more like the inca snail baby in the link I posted. Whatever it truly is, I like it.

I didn't mean that was the type of snail, I meant albino by it being so white lol sorry!

Back
Top Bottom