What order do I add fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Misspriss1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Once my 20 gallon tank has been cycled and with no fish for a couple of weeks what order should I add the following fish….if this to many fish, please lmk

8 neon tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3 Corey catfish
1 bristle nosed pleco
6 celestial pearl danios
4 cherry shrimp
3 nerlite snails
Thank you in advance for your advice

Last edited:
If you are planning on cycling the tank before adding fish then it will take longer than a couple of weeks, more like a couple of months and there is a process. Just running a tank for a few weeks before adding fish wont cycle the tank. Ill post something about 2 common methods of cycling tanks.

Last edited:
To cycle a tank you need to grow denitrifying bacteria to consume ammonia and nitrite that your tank produces. The bacteria needs an ammonia source to grow colonies sufficient in size to consume all the ammonia and resultant nitrite and turn it into nitrate which typically you remove through your regular water changes.

Two commonly used methods to cycle a tank are called a “fish in” cycle and a “fishless” cycle.

A fish in cycle uses fish waste as an ammonia source and regular water changes are undertaken to ensure that water parameters are maintained at relatively non toxic levels. This has been the go to method to cycle a tank for many years, and it commonly is the way new fish keepers cycle a tank when they have bought fish with no knowledge that a tank needs cycling and how to go about it.

Pros.
You get to keep “some” fish pretty much on day 1 of setting up your tank.
More consistently gets you through your cycle.
Only real choice if you already have fish.
If done simply, eg stock lightly, add fish slowly, you can fishless cycle safely without testing. Although testing your water while cycling is still a good idea.

Cons.
Lots of water changes, especially if you are doing a fish in cycle with a fully stocked tank.
Although you should be doing plenty of water changes to maintain relatively safe water, your fish will be living in waste which isn’t ideal.
Can take a long time (several months) to go from an empty tank to fully stocked if done safely.

A fishless cycle uses an ammonia source to replicate the fish waste that a tank of fish would produce. This ammonia source can be pure ammonia, an aquarium specific ammonium chloride product like Dr Tims Ammonium Chloride, a cocktail shrimp or fish food.

Pros.
You cycle the tank before adding fish, therefore they shouldn’t be exposed to their own waste.
No need for regular water changes while your tank cycles.
Can be quicker to go from an empty tank to fully stocked.

Cons.
Needs patience, you will be looking at an empty tank for several weeks.
More technical approach requiring dosing ammonia and will need to be done alongside regular testing.
Less consistently successful than fish in cycles, especially with new fish keepers who don’t understand the process and expect it to run to a timetable.

Variety vs. schools

AFTER the tank is cycled, you’ll probably be fighting algae for a while. It will slowly decrease. So I might think about adding the snails and the pleco early. Before you do too much, a tank with fewer varieties but more species numbers helps the fish. I would rather do 4-5 of the smaller ones like neons and barbs, than one gourami. Corys should also have eventually five in that size tank. Just some thoughts before going too far.

A pleco will do nothing to help control algae, snails will help a little bit. I always start with whatever I feel is the hardiest fish first. With your list I’d start with a school of cories or neons, though neons aren’t really the hardiest of tetras.

The Bristlenose has a diet for algae. Mine was constantly on the prowl until he became too large and I had to switch smaller.

I agree with what has been said.

I will add that IMO you should not add the Danios as my experience has been that they are very disrupted in a community tank

So, you might want to replace them with some "Harlequin Rsboras" instead which are very peaceful and small beautiful fish They also get along great with Neon Tetras

Also with three Nerite Snails be prepared for many snail eggs.

Once my 20 gallon tank has been cycled and with no fish for a couple of weeks what order should I add the following fish….if this to many fish, please lmk

8 neon tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3 Corey catfish
1 bristle nosed pleco
6 celestial pearl danios
4 cherry shrimp
3 nerlite snails

Read up on the guides at Live Aquaria. Exteremely useful, tips you will not generally find here. Below are highlights I remember:

• Be ready to introduce the dominant fish first, to help establish territoriality.
  • Open boxes of new fish in the dark. Lights off, they stress fish. And quiet, and gentle movements. Slowly.
  • It is common some fish will appear dead. Ignore it. Follow the detailed instructions and most will revive.
  • Place the unopened sealed bag in the water; give it time to match the new temperature slowly. No sudden temperature changes.
  • When opening the bag, add small amounts of tank water at a time. (See the article.)
  • Have a net ready to gently pull out the fish and let it gently leave the net on its own in the tank.
  • Whatever you do (this was a surprise), NEVER dump the shipping water into your tank. Throw it away.
  • Oh, and you can fold down the sides of an open bag to make it floatable.

Last edited:

8 neon tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3 Corey catfish
1 bristle nosed pleco
6 celestial pearl danios
4 cherry shrimp
3 nerlite snails

According to LiveAquaria, here are the total lengths in inches of each fish on your list, individually and as a group; when shipped (juvenile) and when full grown (max).

I realize some fish are shipped in quantities, and you may not plan to end up with this many total. Also, note that LA's minimum required tank size for a bristlenose pleco not danio is 30 gals.

Doing this is a good exercise; and I would also make columns for temperatures and pH, so you can spot if any ranges are in conflict.

You'll get there!!!

Attachments

• Fish Inches.jpg
    Fish Inches.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 22
List looks fine but I’d pick one school, either cpds( 12-14 not 6) or neons(12-14 not 8). The tank will look a lot more harmonious and the fish will be happier. Plecos are poop machines and hide a decent amount. If you like them a bristlenose will probably be fine but if you are getting it for algae I’d skip it. I’d also bump the Cory school up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom