What preventive medicine you guys use ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rafy0126

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there any safe preventive medicine or treatment safe to use in a planted tank, just looking for something to put in the water once a month or in between weeks, just to prevent any disease. I think I saw something in one of Dustin or Wayne videos but just can't find it. I'm only asking cause I bought four beautiful Discus and was just curios.

Honestly there is no reason to put any type of preventive in a tank with healthy fish. If you maintain excellent water quality, keep them at the proper temp, and feed a good diet you don't need to worry about what they might get. If you put new fish in the tank you need to quarantine them for at least 4 weeks as that is how you can introduce disease and parasites to your beauties. In the 30+ years I've been in the hobby I've never used a preventative in healthy tanks.

Plus there are very few products that are truly plant safe.

Really thanks for the advice, coming from someone 30 years in this hobby, I will not add anything to my water.

I wouldn't add anything to the water as a preventative but it wouldn't be a bad idea to use something like prazi pro and / or aquarium salt when bringing in any new fish. The prazi pro will kill flatworms such as gill flukes which won't necessarily be taken care of or show up in quarantine and salt will help against most other things.

You could add Indian almond leaves frequently. They are said to have an organic healing and soothing effect on SA fish who enjoy the acidic waters. They also have a tendency to initiate breeding activity if your parameters are fitting enough (acidic).

You could add Indian almond leaves frequently. They are said to have an organic healing and soothing effect on SA fish who enjoy the acidic waters. They also have a tendency to initiate breeding activity if your parameters are fitting enough (acidic).

Where can find them?

You can find them online. One thing tho is they release tannins so only add a leaf at a time so you can see how much it darkens the water.

Back
Top Bottom