What schooling fish to get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was thinking that too... I actually have a 5 gallon with some snails in it atm that was supposed to be my QT tank lol. I have been thinking of getting one of those 5 gallon rubbermaid tubs to use as QT. But I have to figure out why this filter keeps screwing up too... the 5 was fully cycled and now the filter stopped working so I put the media in my 30 to help it a little. Maybe I will just get a better filter.

EDIT: I also just realized that the white clouds I want are the golden white clouds, they look really cool.

We're supposed to be getting in gold white clouds late this week or early next. If you have trouble finding them locally, just let us know. :)

My favorite filter for a 5 gallon sparkler tank would be an Aquaclear 20 (formerly Aquaclear mini), just because it is super reliable and you can turn the flow down if you think it is too strong. Like I said, I had mine in an Eclipse tank, but I'm not a big fan of those because it's such a hassle if the top mounted filtration system breaks.

You could go with just one Ram or Keyhole instead of a pair...then you wouldn't have to worry with breeding aggression (fry probably wouldn't survive anyway in the main tank). I've kept a single Dwarf Cichlid in a tank before and they don't seem to get lonely. My male Apisto agassizii cruises the tank like he owns the place (he does).

I like my Ember tetras and Pseudomugil furcatus (Furcata Rainbows). They are both good schoolers and look nice too. :)

uh oh?

I am finding that white clouds like cooler water, would they be ok with higher temps? the temp of the water in the tank right now is 78 and that is without the heater on. I also have the AC on most days.

LOL... our longfin white clouds are breeding in 80 degree water. They are quite adaptable. :)

I love my keyholes! They are great little cichlids, only getting to around 5". I have also noticed that they eat my ramshorn snails, thank God.

lol!!! my little cousins tank started with 3 mystery snails only, no fish, i think in a month or so there were a bunch more snails * my little cousin really LOVES snails * and next thing you know, 2months later there was a TON of snails, he bought 3 dwarf puffers and they are doing a great job eating them up =]

Just a little FYI on the rams/tetras choice. When we first started keeping rams we had GBRs and golds in our 29g with neons. The most aggression we saw when they did spawn was the chasing away of the random neon, but no out right wanting to beat it up. Of course, a fish's attitude varies. I think I still have some pics in my albums of our rams in the 29 with the tetras. If not, I can find them on our server if you want to see them.

Yes I put a snial in my DP's tank last night (before I found those weird worm things) and as soon as it dropped he was like *BAM* lol. He is really cool now that he is comfortable. He follows me at the glass all the time and he literally comes right up to my hand at the surface when he knows it's time to eat :D

I think I still have some pics in my albums of our rams in the 29 with the tetras. If not, I can find them on our server if you want to see them.

I always want to see pics ! :) I am planning on the golden white clouds now, and getting a solitary ram or keyhole as my center fish. I am also pondering if the ram/keyhole would be OK with gouramis if by itself? I am finding that they only get aggressive when breeding, so like a previous poster suggested (thanks by the way) I will keep one. It would be nice to have a mated pair though. I feel like they would be lonely :( It took me a while to get used to a solitarty dwarf puffer too but he is going to have some otos as soon as they come in to my LFS (which feels like it's taking forever!)

Here you go. This was our gold pair with their eggs. You can see a couple of cherry barbs and some neons :)

Attachments

• img_0565.jpg
    img_0565.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 79
  • img_0588.jpg
    img_0588.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 69
  • img_0597.jpg
    img_0597.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 73
no lol he is a wuss. :) Even if he did I probably wouldn't even feel it because he is so tiny. When I do water changes he will 'run' to the other side of the tank and hide in the corner.

personally i would stick to one type of cory.... the larger the school the better they are to watch. as for another schooling fish there are a ton of great fish out there.

ember tetras...
Hyphessobrycon%20amandae3.jpg

galaxy rasbora or the 10 other names it has finally the real name... Danio margaritatus
2711_galaxy_rasbora.jpg

Rasbora espei
2150_04_09_08_6_54_53.jpg

are just a few...

A little late, but I restarted my main tank, and put in 6 cardinals. I noticed they schooled more closely than the neons that I tried before and I like them more.

I don't it's been mentioned yet, but emerald eye rasboras are pretty sweet as well.
hi-spot-rasbora-2.jpg

I couldn't find any pictures that do them justice (they look pretty plain in all of them) but if you saw them in real life, when you're at a certain angle, they're eyes turn like a greenish-blue (closer to blue) color, which is pretty cool.

So I'm going for cardinals, rummynose and emerald eyes

So how about Cochu's Blue Tetras with a keyhole and a school of cories? I wish they would get along with the Sparkling gouramis. Still debating the GWC's... but those Cochu's you have are beautiful severum mama! If they are still available that is. I also like the von rios, ugh why can't I just have a 200 gallon tank where they would all get along lol

Back
Top Bottom