What should I breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisgaucher

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a fish store that I can sell fish to. I want to breed a certain type of freshwater fish. Which fish could I breed for the most money?

How knowledgable are you on fish and everything there is to know?

I would consider my self average. But if I did my research I could keep any fish though :)

Shrimp. Most LFSs can only rarely get them and wholesale prices are high. Easy to keep and grow out, cheap to feed, small tanks work. JMO

Just about any variety of neocaridina and caridina are easy and sell.

I have a fish store that I can sell fish to. I want to breed a certain type of freshwater fish. Which fish could I breed for the most money?

In terms of breeding fish ... I'll let those that have rearing fry comment.

Does the LFS carry shrimp? If so also consider breeding RCS. Every LFS I go to that has them charges $4 a pop and they get them for $1 a piece. I ask and they really only have a couple of breeders they get shrimp from whereas the fish have multiple breeders, plus they only get a few RCS at a time.

Breeding RCS is relatively simple ... keep good water, a stable temp some low light plants(java moss a must), DW and they do the rest. No need to separate the young, the adults don't attack them. I've had my RCS tank going for 2 weeks and already have 6 young, 2 berried females and another 2 saddled.

Shrimp. Most LFSs can only rarely get them and wholesale prices are high. Easy to keep and grow out, cheap to feed, small tanks work. JMO

Haha ... it's like you were reading my mind!! Guess my post was just a tad too late. When my colony gets large enough, I plan on going to the two LFS's to see if they'd buy. If it goes well enough ... well guess I'll be wiping out the 20gal Long from storage.(y)

Okay. So is there any other fish I can breed easily in a small tank and sell them for a nuck or more?

Back
Top Bottom