What should I do with my 10 gallon tank with one cory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What were you using to test your nitrites and nitrates? I recommend the API master freshwater test kit. The stick type tests are inaccurate, to say the least.

If your tank can hold 0 ammonia and nitrites for a couple days then I'd restock, slowly.

What were you using to test your nitrites and nitrates? I recommend the API master freshwater test kit. The stick type tests are inaccurate, to say the least.

If your tank can hold 0 ammonia and nitrites for a couple days then I'd restock, slowly.

Ummm, I use these are these good?

Attachments

• image-3084521280.jpg
    image-3084521280.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 36
  • image-2094679891.jpg
    image-2094679891.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 39
They are notoriously inaccurate. I completely stopped using them when I got the API kit and compared results, you'll be shocked at the difference.

They are notoriously inaccurate. I completely stopped using them when I got the API kit and compared results, you'll be shocked at the difference.

Awwww,man!!! My chlorine could be through the roof and I wouldn't know about it!Do you know where I can get the API for a low price?

Keep in mind though that they are livebearers, so they will reproduce a lot if you have males and females. The females don't have any colors and are very plain looking. So if you don't want fry just get males.

Keep in mind though that they are livebearers, so they will reproduce a lot if you have males and females. The females don't have any colors and are very plain looking. So if you don't want fry just get males.

Well,actually I have a friend who can take them if they have fry

Ok,so now I've got a plan for stocking:
Guppies
Cory cats

But what should I do to get them?what do I need to do before?

Get the liquid test kit and ensure your tank is fully cycled meaning 0 ammonia and nitrite and at least 5ppm nitrate. Then stock slowly to allow the beneficial bacteria to catch up to the higher levels of ammonia being produced.

Get the liquid test kit and ensure your tank is fully cycled meaning 0 ammonia and nitrite and at least 5ppm nitrate. Then stock slowly to allow the beneficial bacteria to catch up to the higher levels of ammonia being produced.

When I got my tank i got a bacteria supplement could i use that instead?

Attachments

• image-3691120137.jpg
    image-3691120137.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 38

You could try but most people believe that they don't help at all. Although i bought tetra safe start and my 55 gallon that i put it in was cycled before my other 55 that started cycling about 3 weeks before it.

You could try but most people believe that they don't help at all. Although i bought tetra safe start and my 55 gallon that i put it in was cycled before my other 55 that started cycling about 3 weeks before it.

How long would it take to cycle?

Slow down leatherback! You need to get your tank in order before you even THINK about getting more fish. The fish shouldn't just die, there is reasons for the deaths that you are unaware of. First off emerald cory are not good for a 10g. Cories should be kept in schools of at least 3, and 10 gallons is not big enough for 3, they grow over 3 inches. Also with tetras, they need school of at least 5, and there are very few tetras that are suitable for 10g because of there activity level. Furthermore, you should not let guppies just reproduce because you have a friend that will take them, you shouldn't rely on other people to constantly take your guppy fry. If you are interested in guppies just get males. Now for stocking ideas... How about 1 dwarf gourami, 5 Pygmy cories or kuhli loaches, and 2 male guppies. You can keep the 1 emerald in this stock, but you should find a new home for it where it will have more emerald friends and more space to scavenge.

Slow down leatherback! You need to get your tank in order before you even THINK about getting more fish. The fish shouldn't just die, there is reasons for the deaths that you are unaware of. First off emerald cory are not good for a 10g. Cories should be kept in schools of at least 3, and 10 gallons is not big enough for 3, they grow over 3 inches. Also with tetras, they need school of at least 5, and there are very few tetras that are suitable for 10g because of there activity level. Furthermore, you should not let guppies just reproduce because you have a friend that will take them, you shouldn't rely on other people to constantly take your guppy fry. If you are interested in guppies just get males. Now for stocking ideas... How about 1 dwarf gourami, 5 Pygmy cories or kuhli loaches, and 2 male guppies. You can keep the 1 emerald in this stock, but you should find a new home for it where it will have more emerald friends and more space to scavenge.

I figured out why they died, it was because of bad water quality.I never cleaned the gravel until yesterday because I had no idea you were SUPPOSED to clean it.As for stocking,I've thrown away the idea of tetras because my tank int big enough.I decided to get a real testing kit, then buy 5 guppies along with 2 more cories (I just realized my Cory is a bronze)and maybe an algae eater.I don't want to extend my tank to as far as gouramis or loaches because I'm not that advanced yet.Im a beginner and I want to start slow so that I can be sure that my tank thrives.

Attachments

• image-2926204479.jpg
    image-2926204479.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 47

I use a bacterial booster called special blend. I add some every fee weeks after a water change. They will help your good bacteria growth, but I would still add fish 2 to 3 at a time.

I think it's best to add a little at a time. You can break that 1 inch per gallon rule, but you have to pay attention to how well your tank handles it and make sure it is well cycled.

I think it's a good rule for starters, but you can put in a little more.

I use a bacterial booster called special blend. I add some every fee weeks after a water change. They will help your good bacteria growth, but I would still add fish 2 to 3 at a time.

I think it's best to add a little at a time. You can break that 1 inch per gallon rule, but you have to pay attention to how well your tank handles it and make sure it is well cycled.

I think it's a good rule for starters, but you can put in a little more.

I just looked at my Cory closely and I think something is wrong

Attachments

• image-2416116762.jpg
    image-2416116762.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 49
Back
Top Bottom