What size filter and heater for my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meaile

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 45 gal tank and I would like to keep African cichlids. Should I go with the Aqua Clear 200 (200 gph) or the 300 (300 gph?)

I have read that more filtration is good but I don't know if the 300 is overkill....

What media do I use in the filter? I know it has a carbon pack and an ammonia-rid pack available. Do I use all 3?

Also....is a 200 Watt heater the right size?

Any reccomendations on whether to use a Jager or a Visi-therm?

200's about right. the rule of thumb for filtering is usually about 7-10 times an hour

I agree, the 300 is the way to go with Cichlids. They are VERY messy. Which Africans are you looking into?

Thanks for the advise!

I would lke to get Altolamprologus Comprecissep (bright orange) and Altolamprologus Calvus (black).

3 of each (2f 1m)

I would also like to get a few Neolamprologus Leleupi

It kind of depends on availability where I am but these would be my dream fish

i wouldnt use any of the stuff, but just keep some carbon just in case. ammonia rid will just mess up ur cycle

The minimum is 3 times an hour.. the average is 5 and the you have supper messy fish or an overstocked tank is 8-10... if you follow the 1 inch per gallon guideline then I would go for say 8-10! JMHO though..

I would add some sort of a bio aid. such as biomax, or other media. and if you plan on getting three of each, I would suggest getting a male to two females. that will greatly cut back on some aggretion. on my 55 stocked with oddball preds, I have a filter that will cycle the water 5 times, and it works great.

Since it looks as if you are going to be getting Tangs, make sure your ph is high and that the water is hard. Tangs like almost liquid rock. Ideally the ph should be between 8 and 9. Whitetiger is right about the biomax. I believe the AquaClears come with Biomax in the box (at least mine did). So, if you want to have two sponges and the biomax, that would be good.

Ok, I added Bio-Max to my list of things to buy and an extra sponge.

I realy don't know how hard the water is.

How do I test for hard water and is it adjustable?

Also on my list is a Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit.

I'm months away from actually getting the fish....

the best way is to put a piece of limestone, crushed coral, or aragnite. i bought my aragnite from home depot 5$ for a 50# bag

Ok, that sounds fairly easy.

Is aragnite a substrate?
Does it mix with sand?

I appologise for so many questions....It seems like the more I read in here the more I find out I don't know.

it technically is a sand i think. its a ncie white one. my brichardi tank has like 5" of aragnite :). about 150#

you should get some mts though. it gets some anaerobic bacteria pretty well.. but it seems that ive only heard of 2 people whove gotten it. me and some other dude.. dont know if they dont want ot or there isnt any..

Putting some CC in your filter is recomended for buffering a tank for African Cichlids as well..
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Using limestone or Base Rock that they use in SW tanks helps to buffer the water as well..

Back
Top Bottom