what size tank do you have??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonicxpk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So when I first started getting into fish I wanted to start out small but my uncle said bigger is better so I got a 60 gallon and then a 100 gallon, and I love it for me bigger is better. So my question is why chose the size you have right now? And would you chose something different?

I don't really have wallspace for anything too large. Started out with 37gal high and now have added two 20 gals. After experiencing the ease of caring for the two 20 gals, I have vowed to never again buy a tall aquarium. Someday in the future I'd like to sell the 37gal/trade it in for another tank of similar size, possibly a 40 breeder.

I'm a tiny tank type girl. I've never had a tank over 10 gallons. I had:
8 gal. biorb life
5 gal. fluval chi
(both of those are taken down now)
and now I have a 6 gal. fluval edge.
I wouldn't be opposed to something bigger, but larger than like 30 gal. just isn't my style.
:)

I think one of the reasons I gravitate to smaller tanks is because I'm tiny myself, barely over 100 pounds. My dog is small, my car is small as-well. It fits!

Edit: I forgot. I once considered getting a 55g but apartments around here typically have either a no-aquarium rule, or size restrictions, so I'm stuck until I get a house anyway.

Haha well yea I must admit when I do have to change something in my tank I have to be ready to soak my whole arm, but I love that I dont have to bend down to have to see my fish, plus its an instant eye grabber...

My big tank is a 150g. The only reason I got it was because I found it on craigslist for $225, and my wife was mad because I had five 55g tanks.

im glad i dont have the wife problems yet ;) im only 15 and living at home so i started with a 10 gallon, i got bored of that and made a few rookie mistakes buys fish that get to big for the ten so my dad gave me his 26 gal bow front. i got bored of that so i baugt a 65 gal, got bored of that, decided to redo it planting it and now i have all 3 tanks set up :)

I have to agree with you bigger is better. I have had many diffrent sizes over the years. Right now I have a 55 and 30. But man I cant get this 180 Gallon out of my head. I'm thinking wow ocean front property in Missouri. I can't wait. But I have too Dangit

Haha well yea I must admit when I do have to change something in my tank I have to be ready to soak my whole arm, but I love that I dont have to bend down to have to see my fish, plus its an instant eye grabber...

I'm only 5'4" and not exactly a super large person, so when I want to reach the bottom of that 37 gal, the water goes up to my arm pit..that's after standing on a stool just to be able to reach inside the tank. God forbid I ever fall in! ;)

I said something around Christmas about always wanting to keep fish alive, and my stealthy bf told my mom and his this. So for Christmas, I got a 5.5 gallon starter and a 30$ giftcard. Like most I made my Newb mistake and added fish, they survived but I became obsessed with research so I found this site and learned all my wrong ways. I started CLing immediately so my still alive fishies were happy, and that's when I found a 38 for a steal, and I bought it. A couple days later found a 55 with a stand for the same as the 38gal. I figured I'd sell the 38 and keep the 55, nope:) I now have my 55 cycled for my community, my 5.5 betta, and the empty 38 getting ready to cycle for goldies:) I love them and would get more if my bf wouldn't look at me like I'm insane. In probably reading on here more than most people lurk Facebook;)

I know with large tanks I just love the amount of water and swimming space the fish have, if I were a fish it would be something I would love lol...

100 gal - bought for my columbian sharks
36 gal long - my first tank ever. was given to me for free.
30 gal - bought this one brand new. was such a good deal that I couldn't pass on.

14G biocube reef
and a couple smaller betta tanks

id love to have ryshark's 180, but it does seem like a lot of work, probably a 40breeder reef would be awesome for me, i do prefer the smaller tanks

For me it all started with a 20 gallon. With in one years i had two 30 gallon hex, and 1-55 gallon. Two years later i had 9-30 gallons in my garage. Two more years later i opened my first fish store which had 21- 30 gallon, 2 -55 gallon fresh water tanks, 7-55 gallon salt water tanks, 24-30 gallons salt water, and 1-125 salt water display. So for me bigger isn't better more is better. Personally I just went from a 36" tall 150 custom flatback hex reef to a 40 gallon breeder with nothing but my prize pieces of coral. All i can is what a joy to clean. lol

Fishman

Wow that's a lot of maintenance, but yea I'm pretty proud of my just one beauty piece lol...

Coleallensmom said:
I'm only 5'4" and not exactly a super large person, so when I want to reach the bottom of that 37 gal, the water goes up to my arm pit..that's after standing on a stool just to be able to reach inside the tank. God forbid I ever fall in! ;)

... Well that's good to know. I'm 5'4 too and I will be turning my 10 gallon into a tall 38 gallon. I guess when I need to re arrange things I will be doing a 50% water change lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I first started out with a 29g back in Nov. then later on got a 40g breeder from that Petco $1 a gallon sale. also got a 10g and then a 14g they also had on sale with everything to get started (light, filter, heater) for $40. I'm going to move the fishies from the 29g over to the 40g when I finish building a stand for it. and make the 29g a saltwater tank. I'm not to sure what to do with the 10g. Suggestions?

SteveChiller said:
I first started out with a 29g back in Nov. then later on got a 40g breeder from that Petco $1 a gallon sale. also got a 10g and then a 14g they also had on sale with everything to get started (light, filter, heater) for $40. I'm going to move the fishies from the 29g over to the 40g when I finish building a stand for it. and make the 29g a saltwater tank. I'm not to sure what to do with the 10g. Suggestions?

Maybe a breeder tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

My wife bought me a 20 gal high tank set up for Christmas when we first bought our house almost 20 years ago. I eventually also set up a 10 gal. Got bored after a few years and broke them down and ended up lending the 20 to a friend. He moved about a year ago and returned it and its been sitting around since then. I finally got the bug again and started setting it up this week. I'm going for a planted tank this time, so we'll see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom