What species is this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah actually there are 2 of them one has black stripes and the other is paler and almost blends in with the blue. Seems like every time I try to take a picture they hide. I have only had them for I few days... I have them in my Malawi tank cause I saw them with electric yellow in the pet store but they were labeled as just mixed African cichlids and no one knew anything, they are really pretty and I couldn't resist to buy them... I will try to get a better pic :)

i had a very very hard try at identifying it. my conclusions: no idea :p though i agree. very cynotilapia in shape. but the colour is odd... some pseudotropheus elongatus ornatus have that colour. any chance it's a hybrid of some sort?

Ilovecichlids said:
Yeah actually there are 2 of them one has black stripes and the other is paler and almost blends in with the blue. Seems like every time I try to take a picture they hide. I have only had them for I few days... I have them in my Malawi tank cause I saw them with electric yellow in the pet store but they were labeled as just mixed African cichlids and no one knew anything, they are really pretty and I couldn't resist to buy them... I will try to get a better pic :)

It's definitely an african Malawi mbuna. This is a list of afra go threw them and see if you can find it.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/results.php?genus=54

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
i had a very very hard try at identifying it. my conclusions: no idea :p though i agree. very cynotilapia in shape. but the colour is odd... some pseudotropheus elongatus ornatus have that colour. any chance it's a hybrid of some sort?

Some are purple/blue bit if I love Cichlids can't get a photo when it colors up I'd go threw the list I gave to see if any match

Here some more attempts... These guys are very camera shy... They almost change shades of blue , sometimes they look almost purple

Attachments

• image-2383769584.jpg
    image-2383769584.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 78
  • image-558297301.jpg
    image-558297301.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 74
  • image-4241193773.jpg
    image-4241193773.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3818470035.jpg
    image-3818470035.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 71
Hard to say from the pictures. They could also be members of the Maylandia or Metriaclima genus. Members of this group where originally known as Pseudotropheus and were commonly referred to as "Zebras", many are still referred to by the common name (i.e. Red-top Zebras or OB Zebra).

Yes Andrew! That's what they are with the long front fins, and how the stripes kind of bleed into the top fins!

Thanks so much for your help! Yeah they are cool fish! I hope they grow out of their skittishness., could just be cause they are new.
-Cara

From my experience afras love to dig and hide but they do come out of hiding a lot. So with that being said the rocks in your tank will be dug from the bottom so be safe. Mine drive me crazy they dig so much. I can fill it in and the next day it will be right back to they way he had it.

Back
Top Bottom