What stock is best for breeding in a 10 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brilliant_Barbs_21

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,

I have a 10 gallon nano tank, of which I plan on breeding saltwater fish in. But before I set it up, I need to know what fish to set it up for! I am thinking either Clownfish, Banggai Cardinals, or Dwarf Seahorses. In your opinion, what is the least expensive and easiest? The pair will be the only fish, so no territorial issues. Thanks ahead of time!
-Kyle

Hello all,

I have a 10 gallon nano tank, of which I plan on breeding saltwater fish in. But before I set it up, I need to know what fish to set it up for! I am thinking either Clownfish, Banggai Cardinals, or Dwarf Seahorses. In your opinion, what is the least expensive and easiest? The pair will be the only fish, so no territorial issues. Thanks ahead of time!
-Kyle

I'm not a breeding expert or novice for that matter but I believe if u want to breed ANY of those, you're going to need a bigger tank. :/

I'm not a breeding expert or novice for that matter but I believe if u want to breed ANY of those, you're going to need a bigger tank. :/

Yeah I asked because the clown is pretty big. But the dwarf seahorses are only 1.5 inches, and can easily be bred in a 10 gal. All of them can, but the ocellaris is a bit of a stretch. Anything bigger for the seahorse would be too big, because you wouldn't be able to catch them.

Yeah I asked because the clown is pretty big. But the dwarf seahorses are only 1.5 inches, and can easily be bred in a 10 gal. All of them can, but the ocellaris is a bit of a stretch. Anything bigger for the seahorse would be too big, because you wouldn't be able to catch them.

Yeah if I had to choose between the 3, id say seahorse.

I just bought a 2.5 for the dwarf seahorses. They are gonna be a challenge though. Idk if im gonna try breeding them though ...

I had seahorses breed in a reef setup years ago. But you are very fortunate, because at the time there was no live coepods, instant baby brine shrimp!!! If you use live sand,and able to add live rock with the right lighting, you'll have great success :)

I was going to use dry everything so I wouldn't get any unwanted pests. I was just going to cycle then have the tank be a coral garden for a couple of months before adding the seahorses? What do you think?

Thats fine if your not comfortable with live rock, or sand . Personally after that route I would still order the live coepods online for a extra food source, seahorses hunt for food all the time . This gave me peace of mind , because I knew they had a never ending, and natural food supply! :)

Back
Top Bottom