What tank should i put my Hill stream loach in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi

I have a dilemma, I have a coldwater tank and about to set up a tropical tank, I currently have temperate fish and two fancy goldfish in a 40gallon tank, I am moving my temperate fish in to a Tropical Tank so the Goldies can grow to their full potential alone in the Coldwater tank. I have a Hillstream Loach ie a hongkong pleco and im not sure where to put him , He is newest member to the tank. Temperature wise they like colder conditions so should I leave him in the coldwater tank? But he is sometimse out competed for food! and doesn't come out and fight for it, even though I feed Loach after lights out and give goldies a little flake food to distract them they still greedily find his food in every hiding place I have tried to store it. I am both worried about goldies over eating and Loach undereating although he seems happy and well. My temperate fish I have are Danios, platys and minnows may occasionally nibble but don't show as much interest in the Loaches wafer. So I though I would put Loach in the heated tank with them and buy a faser running filter to get a good flow of water as I know both minnows and Loach like that( I have a EHEIM pick up with air diffusor in my coldwater tank), I am just worried about temperature in tropical tank for Loach, cause I want tank to be warm enough that my platys reach their full potential and to bring out their colours more. Anyone know anything about HILLSTREAM LOACHES(butterfly loach/hongkong pleco common names) Please give any advice. My Tropical Tank is 3ftx1ftx1ft not set up yet so all fish are in 4Ogallon I would move into Tropical Tank 3minnows, 4danios and 2platys. I also read Hillstream Loaches like happy in groups, so would I have enough room in Tropical tank to get him a friend if I go with that and have heated lowest.

I am worried that I should have done more research before I brought him as feeling I may have to get him a species only tank which I will find difficult as running out of room in flat. They only get to 5cms so he wont out grow tank, if I buy no more fish for tropical tank just perhaps a friend for him.

Any help with where I should put him which is best for him will be greatly appreciated? He's dead cute but I feel it may be better taking him back to the LFS if I cant find a way to meet his needs.

Hi

I have a dilemma, I have a coldwater tank and about to set up a tropical tank, I currently have temperate fish and two fancy goldfish in a 40gallon tank, I am moving my temperate fish in to a Tropical Tank so the Goldies can grow to their full potential alone in the Coldwater tank. I have a Hillstream Loach ie a hongkong pleco and im not sure where to put him , He is newest member to the tank. Temperature wise they like colder conditions so should I leave him in the coldwater tank? But he is sometimse out competed for food! and doesn't come out and fight for it, even though I feed Loach after lights out and give goldies a little flake food to distract them they still greedily find his food in every hiding place I have tried to store it. I am both worried about goldies over eating and Loach undereating although he seems happy and well. My temperate fish I have are Danios, platys and minnows may occasionally nibble but don't show as much interest in the Loaches wafer. So I though I would put Loach in the heated tank with them and buy a faser running filter to get a good flow of water as I know both minnows and Loach like that( I have a EHEIM pick up with air diffusor in my coldwater tank), I am just worried about temperature in tropical tank for Loach, cause I want tank to be warm enough that my platys reach their full potential and to bring out their colours more. Anyone know anything about HILLSTREAM LOACHES(butterfly loach/hongkong pleco common names) Please give any advice. My Tropical Tank is 3ftx1ftx1ft not set up yet so all fish are in 4Ogallon I would move into Tropical Tank 3minnows, 4danios and 2platys. I also read Hillstream Loaches like happy in groups, so would I have enough room in Tropical tank to get him a friend if I go with that and have heated lowest.

I am worried that I should have done more research before I brought him as feeling I may have to get him a species only tank which I will find difficult as running out of room in flat. They only get to 5cms so he wont out grow tank, if I buy no more fish for tropical tank just perhaps a friend for him.

Any help with where I should put him which is best for him will be greatly appreciated? He's dead cute but I feel it may be better taking him back to the LFS if I cant find a way to meet his needs.

My friend has a 75g tank set up for her Hillstream Loaches. She has several and 3? different species plus other loaches. Only other fish are Vietnamese White Clouds. Lots of flow 2 filters, power head and heavily planted.

Favorite food is Rapashy gel foods.
Plus smooth rocks are put in shallow water in windows to grow natural algae.

I don't think your loach will do well with Goldfish or warm water long term.

Check Loaches Online forum for expert opinions as well.

My friend has a 75g tank set up for her Hillstream Loaches. She has several and 3? different species plus other loaches. Only other fish are Vietnamese White Clouds. Lots of flow 2 filters, power head and heavily planted.

Favorite food is Rapashy gel foods.
Plus smooth rocks are put in shallow water in windows to grow natural algae.

I don't think your loach will do well with Goldfish or warm water long term.

Check Loaches Online forum for expert opinions as well.

Thanks for the advice, I am thinking that maybe I could move the temperate fish then in to the other tank and have it without a heater as temperate fish can live in both conditions and are small species so less bioload, they don't touch Loaches food much and I could get two filters with air diffusor which created bubbles and water movement. Whats a Powerhead?
And I think I would have room to get Loach 1-2 friends once tank is over the cycle period. My platys colours may not come out but they seem happy and healthy enough in the current coldwater tank. Overall I think this might be the best idea to just have a separate Coldwater tank with temperate and Loaches together my cloud minnows like lots of waterflow so I can try my best to get as good a movement as I can and with two filters it will help keep water cleaner. My Loach loved this smooth giant skull I have in my current tank so I would move that over for him. He sucks at it all the time during the day. Also any idea is my tank going to be ok stockwise 3ftx1ftx1ft with 4danios, 2 platys, 3 cloud minnows and 1 Hillstream Loach with thought to get 1 or 2 more hillstream loaches?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom