what the heck is this?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrasse326

Aquarium Advice Freak
My mandarin goby has this big white hole thing. I've been thinking I saw something on him for a few days but every time I walk to the aquarium he swims off behind the rocks so I haven't been able to take a good look at it. But for once I snuck up on him and managed to take a pic. What is this!! None of my other fish have any spots on them. And he still swims around normally like nothing's wrong but I'm worried about him. Help please!

Ok I uploaded a pic of the mandarin goby in my photos since it didn't show up on this thread for some reason.

If it looks like a little cotton ball, it is either a fungus growing on the fin or if more grey than white, might be the virus Lymphocystis. Confirm then we can help treat.

Its definitely white not grey. So how can i treat it? And do i have to worry about the other fish getting it?

Its definitely white not grey. So how can i treat it? And do i have to worry about the other fish getting it?

Then it is probably a localized fungus on an injury. I'd put the fish in a hospital tank and treat with a nitrofurazone based product (Furan 2, Fungus clear by Jungle,etc). The fuzz might actually fall off in the process of moving the fish which will leave an open wound (which in this case is better than having the fungus attacking) and I would keep the fish in the medication until I saw improvement of the wound and regrowth of the skin.
That's how I would handle it.

Hope this helps (y)

Ok what about professional strength melafix? I work at a pet store and we use that for our fish its stronger than the melafix people can come in and buy

Ok what about professional strength melafix? I work at a pet store and we use that for our fish its stronger than the melafix people can come in and buy

I can't say yes or no as I've not used this product before. Since the fish seems to not be too distressed by the infection, I'd say try it BUT, keep a close eye on it. If you see any more deterioration or the fuzz falls off then reappears, your med is not working and time to switch to something stronger.

As for your other fish, if this is not Lymphocystis, your other fish should be fine as this is a localized infection. (Once again ;)) BUT the fungus spores are in your system so should another fish become injured, it's likely that this will happen again. On a whole, however, this is not a contagous situation. (y)

Back
Top Bottom