What the heck is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h2ogirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi! I'm not sure this is the right section for this question, but I didn't see a better match. My son raised some tadpoles he scooped out of a creek in Austin TX. He released back in the creek as soon as they were frogs. In the process we found a ton of interesting creek critters. We were able to identify most of them online. But this one has us stumped. Anyone know what it is? It's flat and segmented, has some number of legs, and is about the radius of a pea.

Hi! I'm not sure this is the right section for this question, but I didn't see a better match. My son raised some tadpoles he scooped out of a creek in Austin TX. He released back in the creek as soon as they were frogs. In the process we found a ton of interesting creek critters. We were able to identify most of them online. But this one has us stumped. Anyone know what it is? It's flat and segmented, has some number of legs, and is about the radius of a pea.

pictures? use photobucket if its not allowing you

sorry!

Here's a pic (I hope). It looked like it was attached before. I guess I don't know what I'm doing. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 80
Whoa I don't know what it is but it looks cool. It's obviously an invert of some type but I don't know which one. How big is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The pattern on the back is really neat. It shuttles around on the bottom in a cute way. when it's flipped over the legs resemble those on a pill bug, but there are fewer of them. Maybe 6? I couldn't tell. The segmented exoskeleton sort of acts like a pill bug too. When disturbed, it arcs quite a bit. It's about the radius of a pea. Slightly bigger than the end of an eraser on a standard No. 2 pencil.

Yes, I thought isopod too. I googled isopod pics and have looked at hundreds. Just haven't found a match to this guy yet.

Well it's at least some type of crustacean judging from the characteristics you just said. I agree it does look like an isopod.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom