What the hell happened to my angels fin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Was fine a minute ago then looked again and it appears ripped. Nothing attacked it!
The top fin

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1419808992813.jpg
    1419808992813.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 87
could it have been spooked and swam into something?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

could it have been spooked and swam into something?

Will it heal??? He doesn't seem to bothered by it :(

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yah, just keep water pristine and feed quality foods.. be better in no time.

Just noticed he is flashing on my plant as well. Hopefully my incident with my root tabs and the off levels didn't hurt him. Noticed one of my mollies had a bit of a messed up tail fin. Started dosing with a bit of melafix, added some stress coat and pulled the carbon pad out. Refreshed my filter basin salt dose as well.

Fingers crossed this doesn't get worse

What are your parameters? How often and how much water you changing?

Usually about 20% once a week. Water usually all zeros but after my incident with the cloudy water from root tabs my ammonia and nitites spiked to about .25 ppm. Been dropping back since I did a 50% PWC and added the carbon (which was just removed)

So what's the stock? What are you testing with? I'm wondering if it's water quality related? 20% isn't much in a well stocked tank. Fin rot or frayed and torn fins would indicate this.

This all appeared after this incident. I'm using the standard test kit.
My stock is in my gallery but it's fairly stocked but I've never had any spikes until this dirty water problem but it's cleared now. Keeping an eye on it for now. Will keep up with my meds and water changes for now. Doesn't look like rot or ich right now so maybe nipping and stress from the parameters?
Hopefully not ammonia burn causing the flash

I've noticed with mine they can get split fins on a few if ferts levels creep up. It's a bit casual but seem to have a link.

thanks. Keep the situation updated but its CLAY fert tabs only from here on in. I have a very tight fert schedule with my water changes only and this threw it ALL off

thanks. Keep the situation updated but its CLAY fert tabs only from here on in. I have a very tight fert schedule with my water changes only and this threw it ALL off

I must admit I have a rush of blood every so often with dosing or will pour out more than I meant to.

I must admit I have a rush of blood every so often with dosing or will pour out more than I meant to.

this wasnt even an "over dose" by the directions. I put some new API root tabs into my tank and it turned my water into MILK! I did a 50% PWC which got it down to Skim Milk but then ran some carbon for a couple days. Whacked my levels out to. I noticed my Gourami flashing a val plant then started dosing with my stress gaurd + and he stopped after a day. I should have kept dosing but figured the carbon would pull it out anyway so I stopped and then the angel started flashing last night and I pulled the carbon and dosed the stress guard and some melafix. Melafix smells AWESOME lol.
Ill dose till the end of the week when I have to do my next PWC, perhaps another 50% if needed and then drop the melafix and use up my stress gaurd.

That seachem stress guard + is a wonder drug!

Wow next day and his top fin is already like 60% better. No flashing either. Still worried about my Molly tail. Looks pale like either discoloring or minor rot. She doesn't seem bothered though

Ammonia and nitrites back to zero. Nitrates about 5 to 10 ppm. Hopefully in a couple Days I'm back to normal

Back
Top Bottom