What to add to a FW 72g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the_elvish_misfit

Aquarium Advice Activist
All my fish have been settled in for a few weeks now and I've been thinking of getting a few more fish. Nothing too aggressive or more than 4 inches full grown.

What I have now:
4 Mollies (2 black 2 dalmatian)
4 Wag Platys
2 Angels (small)
2 Swordtails
11 Neon/Card Tetras

I was looking at kilifish and the dwarf gouramis. Maybe a white molly or some tiger barbs? Something with cool colours that can get along in a community tank.

Nothing that will bother my Angelfish though (I don't like to play favourites but they are lol).

I say get 2 gold or blue or pearl gouramis, not dwarf. You have a huge tank you can get them. They will add great color.

Also it would be bad to add some hatch fish either, they are very cool fish. You could get a small school of 5-7 of them. They are really neat.

Can't go wrong with an red tail shark or a small school of loaches! Personal favorites of mine. I would recommend a trio of pictus cats but you would probably lose all your neons then, although im surprised they lasted this long with the angels. Killisfish are enjoyable as well as long as you have a good hood so they wont jump out.

But would the bigger gouramis get big and eat my neons? My friend had a gourami that was almost a foot long :O

Hatchet fish are cool looking, do they come in any other color besides silver and how big do they get?

Can't go wrong with an red tail shark or a small school of loaches! Personal favorites of mine. I would recommend a trio of pictus cats but you would probably lose all your neons then, although im surprised they lasted this long with the angels. Killisfish are enjoyable as well as long as you have a good hood so they wont jump out.

Which ones won't eat the neons? lol
Everyone, even my dad seems to give angels a bad rep. My angels are very small and will only get about an inch and a half (body not fins) They don't bother anyone. If anyones a bully it's the black mollies in my tank.
I have a full hood.

haha i think youd be safe with the loaches (never read about them eating tetras) but now that I think about it the shark could be a problem when it gets bigger but i doubt it. The pictus catfish will most definately eat them however.

But would the bigger gouramis get big and eat my neons? My friend had a gourami that was almost a foot long :O

Hatchet fish are cool looking, do they come in any other color besides silver and how big do they get?

Well Pearl, Blue, And Gold gouramis like I suggested with get max 5in-6in, but they are peaceful fish and won't even touch your neons. Mine never did and he is about 5in now. The only problem I have was when I put convicts in the tank before I took him out. Then he showed his real bad side. Besides that though, with your setup you should have no problems with a 2 gouramis. The gourami your friend could of had was a kissing gourami, which they will get around 10in or so.

I only know of two different types of hatchet fish off my head. One of them is silver, the other is a marble hatchet fish. Which are a really cool mixed color. Here is a picture of a marble hatchet fish. http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-89821-hatchet.jpg

I think adding two of those gouramis and some hatchet fish will give your aquarium more color and more life :D

Also, you'll have to watch what loach you get if you do get a school of loaches like suggest above. Make sure you get the ones that stay small. Also you need to get the ones that you can match their requirements.

Back
Top Bottom