What to do about Canada Geese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I really like my 8,000 gal pond. But so do the geese. They leave droppings all around and I'm afraid whether they may be eating the fish too. Does anyone have a good solution for getting rid of the geese?

I like that idea. I hate those things. They are everywhere.

For those of us living in the eastern US, we would more than happily give Canada back its geese. They are no longer migrants and just stay down here all year and poo everywhere and especially in public parks and peoples yards! Nuisances to say the least. For some reason, the government still deems them migratory birds and thus they are technically protected from shotguns?

A little hint, my parents flock disappeared last summer after someone hit one with their car on the road below them. Apparently, a death in the flock gets them to move!

If you want some geese for your pond, just take a few hundred thousand from Ohio! Have fun with the permits and we would all thank you!

not even funny.

How are they a nuicense? they are beautiful intelligent animals. Just because the poop doesnt mean you have any right to kill them. If a person came and pooped on your lawn, would you kill them? No, thats murder.

How is it different? Now i can see if the geese were any harm to children, pets and such, but just beacuse the poop (which does in fact come naturally to them) does not mean you should kill them.

End of Rant.

If we are going on natural behavior alone then it should be fine to have a polar bear live under your front porch and hunt your children for food. After all they are one of the only natural predators of humans. But I think it is best to separate humans and polar bears so why not separate canadian geese and outdoor recreation areas?

If someone pooped in my front yard, I would have them arrested so why should we have to live with hundreds of geese doing the same thing?

Most people would have no problem with Canadian geese, if they actually migrated and maintained there natural ways but they now take up residence everywhere there is a body of water with a nicely mowed lawn near by and stay there for 12 months a year. A lot of people like to walk thru parks, yards or front porches without having to tip-toe around goose poop. So many places are so overrun with them that it's almost impossible to look around and not see them or signs of them in places that should be relaxing refuges!

Caribou still migrate to the artic so why can Canadian Geese not do the same? They have an added advantage: It's called flight!

Ok, let's keep this topic on track. It can easily get out of control.

Is there any type of natural predator, that you could buy a dummy of and scare them off?

Any way you can borrow a dog to keep in the yard? They tend to stay away from them. I'm surprised that they are attracted to a pond that small (I haven't had any in my pool, although Mallards usd to drop in) For the record, hey no longer migrate from here anymore either (southern Ontario)

I've never had to deal with Geese probably because my pond insn't large enough to attract them but I would agree with Roka or BillD. A natural predator or even better just simply something that would scare them off would be a much better solution than a shotgun. I would try a dog or a large tom cat. Killing them, in my humble opinion is not even an option. I'm not sure what the natural predators of canadian geese are but if you could find something that would do the same job as the fake owl my parents bought to keep birds from pooing on their boat, it would be a much more peaceful and humane solution. As far as me suggesting a cat, my cats don't bother my fish at all, the closest they ever get to the pond is to get a cool drink of water (but I feed them really well too!). Good Luck.

If they are in season, then killing them for food is perfectly fine. Many species of water fowl have gotten to problematic numbers in parts of both countries and nobody seems to know what to do about it.

FWIW, swans are natural enemies of most ducks and geese. The pond at work has a pair of swans that are actually rented. I know it sounds crazy, but there are people that will lease you their swans for goose control. I doubt that you would want to lease a swan, but maybe a fake one might do the trick?

Jman17H said:
For those of us living in the eastern US, we would more than happily give Canada back its geese. They are no longer migrants and just stay down here all year and poo everywhere and especially in public parks and peoples yards!

No thanks...we have more than plenty...in some areas, as many as 1000 in an area the size of a football field...and they poo everywhere up here too.

I live in South Dakota where Canadian Geese are everywhere. They are spoiled here and hunted LOL

Our Govs mansion has a huge heated pond by natural gas the geese sit on all winter. They are given truck loads of corn, fly out to fields to eat and the public feeds them all year around. All over the city they walk across roads. People just stop and let them walk by.

Goose poop everywhere but they are adored. Pretty bird.

My parents have tried that sprinkler thingie with their pond to try and scare off the racoons. The only thing it really got good was my Dad after he went out there after forgetting to turn it off! Wish I'd of been around to see that! My Mom jokes that when Mr. Racoon comes by now at night, he just brings his soap on a rope. She still finds her lily pads strewn about the back yard.

Canada Geese really aren't that bad. Unlike duck species like Mergansers, they won't harm your fish (except with their poop, or accidentally). They will also help cut your lawn, if you have one. They eat blanketweed, string algae and overgrown oxygenators such as elodea crispa and hornwort.

I think its against the law to harm the canadian goose. Might want to check before you take any serious steps.

Back
Top Bottom