What to do first

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cogus

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it better to add fish first and then add coral or to do it the other way around? Or dose it not matter either way? Thanks in advanced for the advice!!

Personally I would add fish first as your biological filter will need time to catch up to the new addition to the bio load , corals and little to nothin to the bio load compared to a fish. And I would go 1 fish/week , no more than that until the tank is established

Should i add all of the fish first before i get the coral or would it be okay to put them in after i have a few fish in the tank?

I've gone both ways as far as adding things. The corals will need really good water so as long as it's fine you could add them first if you wanted. I just redid my biocube and have 4 corals in and one fish. lol You need to go slow with adding fish though as was mentioned above. :) Corals you can add as many as you dare pretty much. lol

Haha okay thanks for the info.... This is my first tank so i wanted to start with some corals that aren't to difficult to take care of and aren't to pricy any suggestions?

Hi,yes you can add those type of corals are not that hard to take care off,but the water needs to cycled first,then if the water was good enough you can add more some fish you want. if its expensive fish & sensitive,its possible that they can get deasease if your water is not good.

What are some cool lookin corals that are pretty easy to start out with?

Leather corals, Zoanthids, mushrooms (especially Ricordia), are all easy to care for. Just need decent water parameters and light.

yes i agree,mushrooms & zoanthids are good for starting! if you are buying a zoanthids cogus always ask the sales which one are easy to take care of & not that sensitive,because theres a lot of different types of zoantids!

it is also good,if you have a good lights for your corals like LED,that was the popular one now,thats what i am using now to my frag tank 20 gallon,with a dimmable light!

Back
Top Bottom