What to do with filter??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuOD

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone,

So my filter is back from repair - Fluval FX5.

My tank is doing very well with just the Coralife 220 super skimmer+powerheads, so I was trying to decide what to do with my filter. It adds about 8gal to the tank, so that's good at least. I was planning to put some carbon in it, but I didn't know what else to put. It's sealed so there won't be any light. Any recommendations on what would be good?

I would add LR rubble. Make sure you clean it at least once a month. I sounds like you have had it repaired before...? Do you know what the problem is? I haven't run carbon in mine for months.
Actually, if you go with 1.5-2Lbs of rock per gallon, you could ditch the filter.

Bought the filter about 2 months ago planning for chichlids

Filter broke after 1 month and now I just got it back.

25 lbs liverock, 125lbs of base rock, coralife 220 super skimmer.

I'm gonna use the filter because I have it so there's gotta be something good to put inside :) I don't think I can afford LR rubble - I have some media and stuff, is that recommended? base rock rubble with brown algae on it ok?

Yeah you could even use base rovk, the rubble/media are designed to have lots of surface area, to host the nitrifying bacteria. If you but the base rock with algae on it, that will kill the algae and you might get a spike. I would take some base rock, break it up and get the algae off of it and add it to the filter.
Why does it keep breaking? Have you asked?

Thanks, I will just take a bunch of base rock rubble or just smash up a big extra piece I guess =D. I'll remove the algae first too. I'll keep floss and some carbon there too to help clear the water (it's murky now since I haven't had any filter on since I added some livesand/100 lbs of baserock)

What about putting media in that looks like little gray stones? Or what I believe are "bio-balls"?

The filter was spewing bubbles into the tank... I sent it to Hagen and they fixed it apparently. No comment on what was wrong/fixed etc. I'll find out at the end of Decemeber when I go pick it up.

GuOD said:
What about putting media in that looks like little gray stones? Or what I believe are "bio-balls"?
Those sound like the ceramic rings. AFAIK, bio balls tend to be blue.
I get the bubbles after I clean it out, but they go away.

roka64 said:
GuOD said:
Those sound like the ceramic rings. AFAIK, bio balls tend to be blue.
I get the bubbles after I clean it out, but they go away.

Yep they're most likely ceramic rings then... Am I better to put the little gray stones and ceramic rings in or empty with some base rock rubble?

Also - it spewed bubbles for days... I tried removing all media etc, but it never fixed. Air was definitely getting in somehow.

I have the ceramic in mine, I hast don't have any base rubble right now. I tend to think, whatever has more surface area is your best bet. You could even mix the two.
GuOD said:
Also - it spewed bubbles for days... I tried removing all media etc, but it never fixed. Air was definitely getting in somehow.
Hmmm, I am curious now, see if you can get an anwser, there are a lot of folks that have been buying them and might have the same problem, and you will be able to help them (and me too, LOL!).

roka64 said:
I have the ceramic in mine, I hast don't have any base rubble right now. I tend to think, whatever has more surface area is your best bet. You could even mix the two.
GuOD said:
Hmmm, I am curious now, see if you can get an anwser, there are a lot of folks that have been buying them and might have the same problem, and you will be able to help them (and me too, LOL!).

I will do my best when I pick it up - the LFS knows nothing but I'll try to find a working order or something that I can contact Hagen about. I've read of other people having the same problem on forums. My filter would COMPLETELY fill my 120g with bubbles though... like zillions to the point you almost can't see.

It's unfortunate that I bought the filter before I knew I was doing SW but such is life - I'll make do with what I have.

I did have 1 more question. I could possibly get a 30-40g second tank and wondered if this could work.

30g tank on floor with water --> fluval FX5 intake --> fluval FX outputs into tank --> tank overflows to 30g = a refugium, handled by the Fluval FX5. My only concern is that the flow from the FX5 will be too great for the 30g to handle. I also don't know the details about how things like this work :oops:

GuOD said:
30g tank on floor with water --> fluval FX5 intake --> fluval FX outputs into tank --> tank overflows to 30g = a refugium, handled by the Fluval FX5. My only concern is that the flow from the FX5 will be too great for the 30g to handle. I also don't know the details about how things like this work
Does it have an adjustable flow? As for the DIY part, you may want to start another thread, in the DIY section. You should get some really good suggestions there.

Back
Top Bottom