What to do with fish you can't manage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayjangle

Aquarium Advice Regular
As some of you may remember, about a month ago I upgraded to a 50 gallon tank. However, I feel it is still over crowded. I have four fancies in there (one fantail, one pearl scale, one black moor and one oranda) and I am starting to face the music that the space is still insufficient for that many fish.

They all have been alive for months (my most recent one was purchased at least two months ago), but one has developed some cloudy eye condition with slight bug-eye'ing, and the larger fancy is acting increasingly territorial. It always breaks my heart to get rid of a pet, seriously, but I cannot continue to attempt to convince myself that my fish are in the best conditions at the moment. If this is happening the water must not remain clean enough.

I am thinking of parting with the larger fish, only because he takes up the most room and seems to be the 'problem' of the tank as far as behavior goes. If this is indeed the best route to take, what is the most humane and less frightening (to the fish) way to remove him from my aquarium and get him to a more suitable owner with better means? I am only looking to part with one for now.

Thanks. :( Truly sad day indeed, but I reckon all aquarists make such sacrifices occasionally.

Start with CL then your lfs if that doesn't work you could fry here and finally euthanasia :/ (if that's the case the most humane way is chilling them) bag them up as if you were selling them and put them in your refrigerator which will lower there metabolism causing them to hibernate and the perish :*( .. I hope it doesn't come to that most of the time if its free you'll find someone on CL so just try and give them away if you don't mind taking a loss

Definitely check out your lfs (not chain store!) and your local pond stores. My local lfs gladly takes fish that need a new home & both of my local pond stores also will rehome goldfish. Craigslist/classifieds/fb are other options. Ask your lfs for a fish bag to move him in or use a cooler. You should be able to find him a good home! If it absolutely must comedown to euthanasia, use finquel (ms-222) or clove oil.

Back
Top Bottom