what to do with fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glassfreak41

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello all. Does anyone know anything about cichlids and their fry? I'm very new to cichlids, never imagined I'd have fry! They take very good care of them. Thank-you. glassfreak41

I am very new to cichlids, but I do know they are very protective and awesome parents. What kind of cichlid do you have?

Hi Fawn thanks for replying. I have 5 Black convicts. I bought them as babies about a month and a half ago. they were not real small, but they doubled or better in size and then last Friday I saw the fry. I have always had live bearers and would never have thought I'd get a spawning pair let alone fry!! Really don't know much about them. Just that they have babies, and I don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank-you, glassfreak41

Convicts will take care of their own. They will spit the food you feed them to their babies. Very little care is needed. Your tank will eventually become over run with Cons if you don't find a place to get rid of them. Expect more fry every couple months, and if you have another pair in that tank you'll have a never ending cycle. Watch out for aggression if they are in anything less than a 50 gal tank.

Thank-you spence. i only have a 35gal. yes, there is aggression, since day one, the spawning pair stay in a log that has many caves and holes. I would like to know where or how to get rid of them, or how big they need to be before i can. thanks

Welcome, glassfreak41! :mrgreen:

I guess you are now learning that convicts are just about as prolific as livebearers, huh? :)

Once the fry start to come over for food when you feed, and the parents no longer seem to be "feeding" them you can probably see about removing them. Don't know if your LFS will want them, since everyone has them, but call around. If you are not interested in playing this particular game every few months then inquire about trading the male and keeping females only. You really have the mojo, don'tcha? :wink:

Thanks TG! I asked the pet store, where i got them and they said they couldn't take them, it was Petsmart. I will make more calls. thanks, I really don't want to harm them. Would like to see that the ones that survive, get good homes. I did hear that alot of people consider the Black Convict the Guppy of Cichlids, I don't ever hear good about them. I just love them. :( They are my first Cichlid, and I didn't know what I was doing when I bought them. Since I have them, I will keep them and they will have a good home here. I have another tank, the same size(35 gal.) and will keep the female and see what I can do with the others. If no one wants them then I will do what I have to do. Feeder fish? I don't know. I guess I do have the MOJO!! LOL. Thanks for the reply!!! I'm sure more questions are to follow! :)

I read somewhere that convicts would spawn in a mud puddle during a earth quake. Maybe the truth! :lol:

I totally understand your worries. My betta gave birth to 30+ fries 2 moths ago, now all 4 of my tank have 6-10 bettas.

Yesterday just found out another 30-40 baby krib in the comm tank.....

:D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom