what to do with my 10g ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMantelli

Aquarium Advice Addict
So today I received a new sponge filter for my 10g. So I did a 100%water change and cleaned the inside glass to remove any previously used medications. It was previously used as my quarantine tank but am not planning on purchasing any new fish so I am converting it to something else. But what? I don't know...I'm thinking shrimp tank. Would like to do a nano reef but it being only 10 g and me having no salty experiance yet that might be a bad idea. The light is off of a marineland led 20 kit. So far no substrate yet. I'm thinking about putting a couple aubias plants in there and attaching some java moss to it. What else can survive with that low of lighting. And what are some good hardy cool looking shrimp that aren't too expensive. And how many should I start with?

Here's a link to the light that's on here
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...nHMpFemswJP4j3HZw&sig2=uEoOir1FTeZK7AqRGq-w8w

Last edited:
Sorry pics didn't post here is the tank.

ForumRunner_20130426_001751.jpg

ForumRunner_20130426_001809.jpg

I'm gonna do soil with a sand cap ill draw out an idea of what I want in it this weekend.

Last edited:
Well I'm gonna do organic potting soil with pool filter sand on it I don't plan on moving anything once its set So what do u think I'm also gonna throw some hardscape in there.

ForumRunner_20130427_020709.jpg

#1 apongenton bulb background
#2 anubias nana petite foreground
#3 narrowleaf chainsword top of hill filler
#4 anubias barteri background
#5 lace java fern background
#6 water Lilly midground
#7 moss whichever kind will adhere to pool filter sand
I'm also gonna throw a moss ball in there...mabey.

Last edited:
Well I got some organic potting soil and pool filter sand gonna move my water and filter to a plastic tote. Got some ammonia so I can cycle the new sponge filter. Imma get everything cycled and stable before I put the plants in it then wait awhile before I put any shrimp in.

just dosed the ammonia using this http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm i added just under 2 ml ammonia and am at about 5-7 ppm ammonia. now lets see what happens.

Last edited:
Saturday filled tank ran it overnight
Sunday added 2ml of 10% ammo 5ppm, put in some ceramic rings and a cup of water from my other tank that I rinsed foam and media in. also connected a maxijet400 to the sponge filter, turned temp up to 84-86 f and put in an airstone.
Monday ammo 5ppm
Tuesday ammo 5 ppm
Wednesday ammo 4ppm, no2 0
Thursday ammo 2 ppm, no2 0.25 ppm my cycle has officially started will update in a few more days.

Today I did the aquascape so I can plant it next week.
Organic potting soil under the pool filter sand and a black gravel trail in the middle. The fake plants will be coming out when the real ones come in

the tank needs some height maybe a tall plant or a tall driftwood!!! have you decided on stock yet?

Wow, looks great!
I would put a betta fish with the shrimp, or maybe two female bettas, just me though!
Looks great!

I have plants coming already for it
1 java fern
5 nodes of guppy grass
1 water sprite
2 golf ball sized java moss balls

And I'm thinking shrimp and snails mabey a Betta if it can cohabitate with shrimp still gotta research that one. This is my first aquascape like this and yes I would like a piece of drift wood in there but with the plants I'm sure it will end up looking ok.I have only owned cichlids so there habitat is pretty easy lol.

It will be awesome!
I had 5 betas with ghost shrimp before, only one of those has gone after the shrimp, all of my females have left it alone
You should try mystery snails, they come in black, blue, and gold

Awesome Betta and shrimp it is. Also snails to feed my loaches and asassins. I already have ramshorns and mts breeding in a 5stones planted vase I did yesterday. This will be an intresting setup.
My plan for the plants is to put the java fern in the back right corner, line the right side glass with the moss and have it carpet around the java fern. Put the water sprite in the back left corner and the guppy grass Ido yet mabey try to do a carpet or just randomly plant it and keep then short don't really know yet. Any ideas.

I busted out my old 10 gallon and am using it as a planted tank. My goldies were destroying my new plants so the ten gallon is helping me establish stronger root systems so they can survive.

I busted out my old 10 gallon and am using it as a planted tank. My goldies were destroying my new plants so the ten gallon is helping me establish stronger root systems so they can survive.

Nice...makin a grow out tank. This was my quarantine tank got tired of looking at it so I decided to do something with it.

well it looks like as soon as it is cycled andi have my plants from salman in it it is going to be a temporary fry tank as i have 2 maeby 3 marmalade fuellebornis currently holding i really hope this fishless cycle makes the filter as stable as im told it will.

also an update on that today marks day 1 of week 2 with the fishless cycle my ammonia has dropped to 2.0ppm and i now have No2- 2.0ppm cant test for No3- cause i just ran out

This should work for some med light plants correct. The light is an aqueon t5no 2x24 6700k and colormax about a foot above the tank with no top. And soon to be no top rim.

ForumRunner_20130504_231539.jpg

Whoa man this thig went green overnight the only light source this thing gets is the light coming through the side from the 55.

Back
Top Bottom