What to do with my 40g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a 40g set up with rock, power head, hob protien skimmer, 2bulb t5ho not enough for coral becauese it's only 24". This eauipment is all just extra stuff I have so I thought I would put it to work haha. My question is what should I put in it! I want it to be fowlr but the problem is I have a cleaner and fire shrimp that have to be in it. Because they were going to be killed by my new marine betta. The tank is also bare bottom. What fish should I add? I want them to be fish that I can't have in a reef tank. One fish will be some dwarf angle. Iv also always wanted a butterfly fish, are there any I could get away with? Maybe an Auriga butterfly?

They can't be in a 50. I never said that. I would advice absolute minimum of 75 gallons. They're very active fish actually.

any other thoughts on the butterfly? I am not 100% on it im just wondering if they really do need a 75g because my 2 go to sources dont say that and I dont believe that a 50g is any different then a 40g just as i dont think a 90 is any different from a 75g.

Sounds like youve made your own mind up on this one.

no i havent, Iv read in a few other sites that they need 75g I am wanting to hear peoples opinions. Just because I am raising questions about something doesn't mean I have made up my mind. I am simple inquiring additional information.

If you really think about it.... They get roughly the size of a yellow tang... Maybe a little smaller.... And also swim a lot... Just like a tang. So treat it like a small tang. 4' tank minimum. And your seeing 50 I'm guessing because they're talking about 55's, which are in fact 4' long.

If you really think about it.... They get roughly the size of a yellow tang... Maybe a little smaller.... And also swim a lot... Just like a tang. So treat it like a small tang. 4' tank minimum. And your seeing 50 I'm guessing because they're talking about 55's, which are in fact 4' long.

I get what you are saying but im rather sure liveaquaria wouldn't think oh we say 50 but everyone should just assume its a 55

That doesn't really make sense. Have you ever kept butterflies, the kind I want? there must be a reason why they say they can be in such a significantly smaller tank then the others. what is that reason?

I just dont understand what you are basing you tank size off of? because out of 10+ sites/threads it says their tank size is a 50g. What do other people think?

Personally, I wouldn't put a butterfly in anything smaller than a 75.

Well, don't know how willing you'd be for maintenance/feeding or your experience and such, but a leopard wrasse would be soo cool! If you got one that ate frozen food, that would be awesome!

As far as I know they semi shrimp safe. Like small ones I'd say its a risk but a good size cleaner I think would be a small chance only.

I really like female leopard wrasse also. If you can get them to eat frozen they are actually quite hardy I hear.

My shrimp are both 3"+ body langth with like 7" or more with antennas. So they are rather large I think.

Well, don't know how willing you'd be for maintenance/feeding or your experience and such, but a leopard wrasse would be soo cool! If you got one that ate frozen food, that would be awesome!

i couldnt agree more. I am up for some fish but I would need to find one already tried I dont want to go through the training.

Right now heres what im thinking

Maroon Clown
Some Dwarf Angel
some invert safe wrasse

I think the yellow striped maroons are more aggressive than the white striped...could be false though.

Back
Top Bottom