What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
J19Reynolds said:
I'm not downing all petsmart stores... I've always had problem w this ladies info :-/ I learned big time now... And I have done some research now wished I would have before.... And this won't happen again

I learned the hard way too, we all have to learn somehow! Locally owned mom and pop fish stores are usually better than chain stores for correct info, but asking here and doing research online is always your best bet!

kelbaker79 said:
I learned the hard way too, we all have to learn somehow! Locally owned mom and pop fish stores are usually better than chain stores for correct info, but asking here and doing research online is always your best bet!

I have leardned several lessons the hard way as well. I have found that even thought I have only been doing Cichlids for 4 months, I have to say that already know more than the employees of the PetSmart and PetCo in my area (and I am no expert by any means). To be fair, however, both stores are both very open about their limited knowledge of Cichlids and are as helpful as they are capable of being.

Frequently you need to watch out for Local Fish Stores as well. I have gotten some bad advice from so-called experts in LFS as well. On top of that, opinions frequently conflict. Your best bet is to post questions to forums like this one, and go with the popular opinion. Patience will pay off. I have still purchased most of my equipment and fish from PetCo and PetSmart and have been very happy with the health of the fish and quality of the products. It just requires some research.

The ladys at my petsmart are great! Only bad advice is inch per gallon but they go by full size which is better then most. Id deffinatley look for another more knowledgeable lfs.

As mentioned before, we all learn the hard way! I now take my phone with me and if I see something I want I'm THAT girl standing I front of the tank (glaring at you if you get to close) doing the frantic fish search before someone else buys the fish!! Yes, I'm THAT girl....and darn proud of it!! lol
I started out with 3 mbuna (which is what you have) in a 20 gallon tank. Now that's not ideal, but when they started getting cramped I upgraded. I see nothing wrong with starting out smaller. But you have to realize you WILL have to go bigger.
Keep an eye on Craigslist, there are great deals on there all the time.
Good luck with ur fish keeping. I'm sure that you'll love your cichlids! They're great fish!!

Lady_Alia said:
...I now take my phone with me and if I see something I want I'm THAT girl standing I front of the tank (glaring at you if you get to close) doing the frantic fish search before someone else buys the fish!! Yes, I'm THAT girl....and darn proud of it!! lol

Ha! Glad I'm not the only person who does this.

Back
Top Bottom