What to feed cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCommunityCichlid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Which nls food is the best for cichlids? I currently feed the Cichlid formula to both my dwarfs and my africans. However one if the local breeders feeds Thera a to all his cichlids. Which is the best food for both? Or are there any nls foods that would be better for the rams?

I use Kens Fish Food. They go crazy for the stuff. I have about 5 different kinds that they get as a staple.

Most of the NLS formulas are basically the same if you look at the ingredient list, Thera just contains a massive dose of garlic which has been shown to stimulate appetite and can actually kill some internal parasites. I don't use anything except Thera for everything including tropicals.

Last edited:
Bloodworms and hikari wafers, they love the bottom feeder wafers and sometimes hog them over the corries and my shark

Okay so what should I feed or can I not go wrong either way?

Either is fine but in my experience Thera helps prevent digestion issues with mbuna such as Bloat, plus it has a higher protein concentration so you can actually feed less and when you have as many fish as I do every little bit helps.

Would Thera be better for peacocks because of the higher protein?

The protein percentage is irrelevant unless we are discussing low quality foods that don't use the entire fish and use low quality ingredients such as fish meal. Feed anyway NLS you choose as they are all good, but if you research the health benefits of garlic you would choose Thera.

Like hukit said kens had fish meal not whole fish like nls. I think I will buy a smaller thing of Thera and try it out

Here is a comparison.

Their are many that swear by his foods, I'm not one of them. The ingredient list is really no better than any other low end food which uses alot of fillers such as corn, wheat, and oat flour which serves as fillers and binding agents. Look at their list and then compare to NLS flakes which uses actual whole Antarctic krill and whole hearing instead of fish meal which utilizes all the left over parts from other industries rather than the whole fish. Compare and you'll see the differences.

Ken's Cichlid flakes,

Ingredients: fish meal, dried brewers yeast, soy flour, wheat flour, oat flour, corn gluten meal, soy protein concentrate, shrimp meal, dried plankton, dried spirulina algae, dried krill, dried earthworms, dried kelp, vitamin supplements a, d3, b1, b12, & biotin. Stabilized vitamin c.

Now NLS,

Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Wheat Flour, Whole Squid Meal, Mussel Meal, Algae Meal, Garlic, Soybean Isolate, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Vegetable and Fruit Extract (Spinach, Broccoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomato, Pea, Red and Green Cabbage, Apple, Apricot, Mango, Kiwi, Papaya, Peach, Pear), Ginseng, Vitamin A Acetate D-Activated Animal Sterol (D3), Vitamin B 12 supplement , Thiamine, Biotin, DL-Alphatocophero (E), Riboflavin Supplement , Niacin, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, L-Ascorby-2-polyphosphate (Stable C), Choline Chloride Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate , Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate.

Here is a comparison.

Their are many that swear by his foods, I'm not one of them. The ingredient list is really no better than any other low end food which uses alot of fillers such as corn, wheat, and oat flour which serves as fillers and binding agents. Look at their list and then compare to NLS flakes which uses actual whole Antarctic krill and whole hearing instead of fish meal which utilizes all the left over parts from other industries rather than the whole fish. Compare and you'll see the differences.

Ken's Cichlid flakes,

Ingredients: fish meal, dried brewers yeast, soy flour, wheat flour, oat flour, corn gluten meal, soy protein concentrate, shrimp meal, dried plankton, dried spirulina algae, dried krill, dried earthworms, dried kelp, vitamin supplements a, d3, b1, b12, & biotin. Stabilized vitamin c.

Now NLS,

Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Wheat Flour, Whole Squid Meal, Mussel Meal, Algae Meal, Garlic, Soybean Isolate, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Vegetable and Fruit Extract (Spinach, Broccoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomato, Pea, Red and Green Cabbage, Apple, Apricot, Mango, Kiwi, Papaya, Peach, Pear), Ginseng, Vitamin A Acetate D-Activated Animal Sterol (D3), Vitamin B 12 supplement , Thiamine, Biotin, DL-Alphatocophero (E), Riboflavin Supplement , Niacin, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, L-Ascorby-2-polyphosphate (Stable C), Choline Chloride Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate , Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate.

Great comparison. I am with hukit staying with nls. So you feed Thera a over the Cichlid formula only because of the garlic benefits?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom