What to plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New_b0401

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm new to aquariums but I LOVE the idea of a blasted tank I have a betta in a 10 gallon tank that I was gonna start out in. Any suggestions on what I should plant? Any tips would also be great!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm very new to this and I'm working on research right now. All I have are my normal aquarium lights will those work or do I need special lights for a planted tank?

I'm new to aquariums but I LOVE the idea of a blasted tank I have a betta in a 10 gallon tank that I was gonna start out in. Any suggestions on what I should plant? Any tips would also be great!

Welcome to AA! If your idea is to have a killer planted betta tank, then you my friend have found the right place.

I started with a basic 10gallon kit from a big box store. It had multi colored gravel, sponge bob decor, and fake neon plants.

Tip #1- get a water testing kit (Recommend API master freshwater test kit)

Tip #2- get lighting. You can get away with cfl bulbs in a stock hood for a cost effective alternative. That's what I currently use with decent results.

Tip#3- get substrate. I can only recommend what I've used, which is fluorite and Eco complete.

Start with easy plants like Java fern, Java moss and Anubis. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400725959.562099.jpg
Java fern on the right Anubis on the left.

Pittbully I must point out that I love your tank! What kind of plants do you have in it? (I'll deffinitly start out with the beginners I'm just curious(; )

Thank you for all your help! I will deffinitly look into gettin lights. Do most lfs carry them?

Pittbully I must point out that I love your tank! What kind of plants do you have in it? (I'll deffinitly start out with the beginners I'm just curious(; )

Thank you for all your help! I will deffinitly look into gettin lights. Do most lfs carry them?

I have a little bit of every thing next the Anubis along the background is rotala indica, next to that ludwiga repens, bacopa carolina, then ludwiga red. Mid ground plants a few amazon swords, crypt wendtii green, some type of Lilly

Foreground dwarf baby tears hm and dwarf sag.

Order the finnex planted + led light on amazon. Great light and will grow most plants. Very good price also. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400727102.202245.jpg

I love dwarf baby tears are they hard to take care of?

Dbt hm are not, but hc I've heard are. I have a 2.5 gallon shrimp tank with hm. No ferts or co2 and they grow fine. A lil slow but fine. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400727406.145098.jpg

Thanks pittbully13. It's been 3 months now and finally starting to get good growth. Found my first dwarf sag runner today. Pretty excited about that

Thanks pittbully13. It's been 3 months now and finally starting to get good growth. Found my first dwarf sag runner today. Pretty excited about that

I know the feeling!When I started seeing runners on mine...it confirmed that I was doing the right things. DIY root tabs don't hurt either.

I bought my first plant yesterday an anubias nana and put it in my betta tank. It looks great! I bought it from my local petsmart and there was nothing dead on it I love their aquatic plants.

What do you use for substrate? I've heard to use flourite or eco-complete and then add a thin layer of fine gravel or sand? Do I need to put anything over the flourite or eco-complete?

What do you use for substrate? I've heard to use flourite or eco-complete and then add a thin layer of fine gravel or sand? Do I need to put anything over the flourite or eco-complete?

Capping those I believe is a matter of personal preference. I use EcoComplete black regular grain in two tanks with no cap. I do add root supplements (pellets) around once a month.

Ok thanks very much:) I'm trying to do everything right but stay on the cheap end so if its just for looks I think ill pass (;

Back
Top Bottom