What to plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a cfls hood idk that was better :p but it only holds 2 bulbs. Will it work? If so what bulbs should I get?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Look for 6500k CFLs. They most likely need to be narrow as the wider ones may not fit into the hood. They should produce more light than the stock fluorescent you have.

Ok thank you so much for your help :D

You can get GE 6500k at Walmart 3 pack for 7.99. I would use the 13 watts ones. The should fit nicely. I started with a 10 gallon with a hood that held two incandescent lights. Swapped those for two cfls. Then plants started growing.

You can get GE 6500k at Walmart 3 pack for 7.99. I would use the 13 watts ones. The should fit nicely. I started with a 10 gallon with a hood that held two incandescent lights. Swapped those for two cfls. Then plants started growing.

So those bulbs will work?

I couldn't find that them): will 15 watt/120v work it doesn't have ks and they are incandescent

I couldn't find that them): will 15 watt/120v work it doesn't have ks and they are incandescent

I'd stay away from the incandescent bulbs and try to locate CFLs (the ones with the "curly" tubes) that have the incandescent type of socket. Most hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot) and lighting stores should carry them.

I'd stay away from the incandescent bulbs and try to locate CFLs (the ones with the "curly" tubes) that have the incandescent type of socket. Most hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot) and lighting stores should carry them.

Thanks I did end up buying the incandescent but they were $2 so no big loss ill be sure to loom for some cfls they did have some but the said 60watt but they only used 13watt would that be the same as I plan 13watt bulb?

Thanks I did end up buying the incandescent but they were $2 so no big loss ill be sure to loom for some cfls they did have some but the said 60watt but they only used 13watt would that be the same as I plan 13watt bulb?

Yes. They are equivalent to 60w output but only using 13w. Very efficient and they run pretty cool.

Ok I will pick up a pack next time im in town

Duckweed good or bad? I have a friend who is willing to give me some duckweed, but I dont want it taking over my tank... please share you personal experiences or any information you may know about taking care of this plant and making sure it doesn't over run your tanks.

I don't like it in my main tank, but I have it in both my shrimp tanks.

I was thinking about putting it in my 10 gallon and seeing how I like it. I prefer frogbit for top water cover, but hey I cant argue with free haha

Yeah try it. Beware it reproduces like crazy and may block vital light for your other plants. if you don't like it...you can "net" it out.

Ok just put flourite into my 10 gallon and my water is BROWN is this normal?! I rinsed it several times but it doesn't look any better...
eju4yzab.jpg

Ok just put flourite into my 10 gallon and my water is BROWN is this normal?! I rinsed it several times but it doesn't look any better...
eju4yzab.jpg

Yes, that is pretty typical with fluorite from what I've gathered on this forum. Several water changes will be needed to clear it up.

Yes, that is pretty typical with fluorite from what I've gathered on this forum. Several water changes will be needed to clear it up.

Well that's wonderful lol thanks

Well that's wonderful lol thanks

Well I did four water changes it looks better but some water clearer in going to let it sit with the filter running for a few days if its still cloudy I'll do another water change. Sound like a good plan?

Back
Top Bottom