What to put with my angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmd

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 3 freshwater angel fish in a 60g tank. They are the small angels and are only about 4 inches maybe 5 from fin to fin. I also have a pleco & 3 neons. My mollies are all dying off & I don't know what to put in with the angels. Anyone have suggestion?

I personally like rams with angels. They seem to share the tank nicely.

Is your tank planted? What are your ph and ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings? Also do you know why your mollies are dying?

First you need to up your school but instead of neons I suggest getting 6 cardinals as they are better in the long run to keep with angels. Another thing what type of pleco do you have? Compatible fish for angels are Cardinal, Rummynose, Lemon, Diamond, and Congo tetras. Rainbowfish and the smaller Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish and Threadfin Rainbowfish. Harlequin rasboras, Dwarf, Honey, or Pearl Gourami's. Cory Cats, Kuhli or yo-yo loaches. Upside down cats and Ghost cats.. Just research any fish before buying them to see if they are nippy which isn't good for angels and their fins. Many tetras and barbs tend to be nippy so pick carefully. I've listed fish that I personally have kept with angels at one time or another.

Thanks. Don't they need a more neutral ph? Mine tends to run around 7.6.

Rams? Mine do pretty well in 7.6, that's what my water is too. Maybe I've just been lucky but I have a tank with bolivians and a tank with germans. I don't think GBR's are as difficult to keep as they're made out to be.

Usually oh 7.6 nitrates 0 nitrites 40. It's a bristlenose pleco is all I know. The Molly's I'm not sure really. I have one that's bigger than the rest & I think he chases them. I have one now with a bad looking tail fin. They never appear sick & it's always one at a time. When check water levels they are fine. Just odd cause have no problems with the other kind in there.

That's good to hear! I will look into rams. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also it is not a planted tank.

image-1080662548.jpg

Here is a pic.

Both types of rams are sensitive to nitrates and poor water quality in general. You really need to try to up your weekly water changes to keep nitrates at 20ppm or lower. I even do a 50% WC on my 220g weekly. As for rams, Bolivian rams are hardier and can be added to a tank sooner the German Blues. German Blues are often less hardy because many GBR's available are imported from Asian Breeding farms that have poor genetic breeding habits and also use hormones to enhance color earlier. These fish are very weak stock. When getting GBR's from local breeders or ones in your country you will always get genetically stronger sound fish. The GBR's tho still do best in mature tanks of at least 6 months old. I keep alot of rams, both types and when you buy good stock and keep water quality good they do very well. Another thing to keep in mind is they are not overly long lived fish. Two years is an average but I've had many of mine reach over the three year mark.

I was always told below 40 was ok? Maybe I need to do bigger changes weekly. I usually just do 20-25% weekly. I will start doing larger changes & see if it helps nitrate.

I was always told below 40 was ok? Maybe I need to do bigger changes weekly. I usually just do 20-25% weekly. I will start doing larger changes & see if it helps nitrate.

Keeping nitrates at 20ppm or lower but not below 10ppm in a planted tank is the best for fish. If you do a 50% WC weekly you are cutting your nitrates down by half.

Back
Top Bottom