What type of algae is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cammywammy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here is a picture of it on one of my plants but it seems to be everywhere.

Attachments

• image-1000461967.jpg
    image-1000461967.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 81
Well I redid the tank so not long. Will this algae harm my plants??

I have something similar happening in my tank in the last few days. However, it is showing up only on the older dwarf sag leaves. New growth is fine. Algae is brownish, slightly clumpy (looks like sap or honey). Tank is 5 months old, recently rescaped a bit and change of lights (dual t-5 NO to Finnex FugeRay). I am thinking that a change of lighting might be causing the new algae growth.

I have two 18 watt cfls maybe this type of algae is caused by high light. Or it could be from redoing my tank. If anyone knows how this algae is caused or how to treat it please help us!

I have two 18 watt cfls maybe this type of algae is caused by high light. Or it could be from redoing my tank. If anyone knows how this algae is caused or how to treat it please help us!

I believe it may be a combination of all of the above. Rearranging could stir up waste or introduce nitrates into the water column, temporarily disrupt the nutrient uptake by plants...this could lead to an imbalance that the algae might be taking advantage of.

I will try treating with Excel tomorrow for a few days to see if it helps.

Let me know how that goes I may invest in some if it works.

I couldn't find any peroxide so I used excel. Shut off filter a few minutes ahead of time so there would be no current. I turned on the lights for only a few minutes so that I could see what I was doing. Dosed about 4mL (tank is 20 g) on the affected plants (dwarf sag and crypt parvo). Let it sit for about 5 min before restarting the filter.
I'm also treating a second tank as well but for a different type of algae (bluish green slimy mat on some recently planted cabomba).

Back
Top Bottom