What type of Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antunes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
D60vic1.jpg

qaHTpuh

5banH6L

Started occurring after I installed co2. I lowered lighting from 12-10 hrs. It’s growing on plants too. From what I read it could be blue green algae (hopefully not). I don’t have a phosphate checker but nitrate is 20-40 ppm ( hard to tell on strips but definitely in that ballpark). It’s my first planted tank and has been up for a month. I never experienced green algae before so thank in advance.

Algae

D60vic1.jpg

qaHTpuh

5banH6L

Started occurring after I installed co2. I lowered lighting from 12-10 hrs. It’s growing on plants too. From what I read it could be blue green algae (hopefully not). I don’t have a phosphate checker but nitrate is 20-40 ppm ( hard to tell on strips but definitely in that ballpark). It’s my first planted tank and has been up for a month. I never experienced green algae before so thank in advance.

Hello Ant...

Algae of any kind will become a problem, if the plants and fish aren't using all the nutrients. Nitrates and phosphate are the reason. If you can reduce these, the algae won't have a food source and won't grow as fast. You can also use house plants to reduce the nutrients in the water. I use Chinese evergreen. The roots are immersed in the water and will remove all forms of nitrogen from the tank water. I have no visible algae in my tanks that have the house plants growing in them.

B

Back
Top Bottom