What type of food do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanessa2155

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My LFS sold me Omega One. My fish seem to love it. I also bought Omega One Super Color Cichlid. Is Omega One a high quality brand? I have no idea.:)

My LFS sold me Omega One. My fish seem to love it. I also bought Omega One Super Color Cichlid. Is Omega One a high quality brand? I have no idea.:)

I don't recommend their pellets due to the amount of swelling that occurs when soaked in water, this can cause impaction to the intestinal track but their flake food is good.

I normally use Ken's Cichlid flake & Spirulina flake, with an occasional slice of zuccini, string beans or peas. NLS is very good too. I have no experience with other brands. Avoid Bloodworms, they can lead to bloat.

I don't recommend their pellets due to the amount of swelling that occurs when soaked in water, this can cause impaction to the intestinal track but their flake food is good.

Really? Interesting...how about Hikari pellets?...unfortunately all my fish are hooked on pellets. In my Community I use Flake.

Really? Interesting...how about Hikari pellets?...unfortunately all my fish are hooked on pellets. In my Community I use Flake.

The only pellets from Hikari I have used was their Bio-Gold line which does not swell like Omega One's, the two cases of Bloat I've personally gone through were results of trying Omega's cichlid pellets. Now my entire collection of tanks that consists of close to 1000g is fed exclusively on New Life Spectrum pellets, the type of cichlids I keep and breed are not able to survive on flake food alone.

I'm also looking into Repashy super foods currently but don't have anything other than some experience from others in GCCA, but the prospects look good.

HUKIT said:
The only pellets from Hikari I have used was their Bio-Gold line which does not swell like Omega One's, the two cases of Bloat I've personally gone through were results of trying Omega's cichlid pellets. Now my entire collection of tanks that consists of close to 1000g is fed exclusively on New Life Spectrum pellets, the type of cichlids I keep and breed are not able to survive on flake food alone.

I'm also looking into Repashy super foods currently but don't have anything other than some experience from others in GCCA, but the prospects look good.

I have their flake food. It's good cause it's cheap but I don't know about quality. I notice it takes my saulosi longer to eat it than other flake. The aufwuchs powder STINKS! I mean smell stinks, I made one batch and it's been in the closet since.

I feed omega one to my cichlids and never knew it swelled, they seem to love it and I haven't experienced any problems. I would like to upgrade to NLS or Hikari in the future though...

I have their flake food. It's good cause it's cheap but I don't know about quality. I notice it takes my saulosi longer to eat it than other flake. The aufwuchs powder STINKS! I mean smell stinks, I made one batch and it's been in the closet since.

Hmmm, everyone seems to have left out that detail. Have you tried any other type, as I curious of all the forumulas have that? I was mainly interested for fry only since with my schedule it's tough to feed 2-3x per day.

I feed omega one cichlid pellets and they hardly swell at all in my experience. Ive had some float for about ten minutes and swelled up a slight bit. Just my experience with them. My cichlids love them too, i get wet everytime i feed from all the splashing cichlids.

Hikari is my favorite, "won't Cloud water"

My Betta's have been enjoying the pellets for more than 15 years, now they make them slightly smaller, better for the younger fish.

I went today to get the Koi Hikari Gold small pellet but they were out at the LFS. I guess people buying young fish for their ponds.

Also just bought the sinking pellets for omnivore bottom feeders, fish love them, so do my Koi.

Use Microbites for my guppies and little tetras, and the Ghost shrimp will try to fight over them. Hilarious.

Spectrum Therma+ is something I was recommended, got the one with garlic, and the fish really love them, they perk up quick and eat heartily.

I'm using 1/2 & 1/2 Spectrum and Hikari Microbites, crushed for my guppy fry.

They are pelleted and can swell a little, do not over feed.

****It's a good practice to never shake food from container directly into tank, I now use my hand or a water bottle cap, then sprinkle in. To avoid a "dump" disaster.

I also used to use Hikari freeze dried (fresh and frozen can carry something which can harm fish, can't remember right now) blood worms, treats for Bettas and other fish, but I am now allergic to them, so no more at my house.

Last edited:
josh7 said:
Agreed hikari has the best cichlid food.

I've fed NLS and Hakari, NLS is hands down better for color and growth.

Hukit, the superfood is amazing stuff! True it stinks to high heaven when you make it but the fish love it.

I've fed NLS and Hakari, NLS is hands down better for color and growth.

Hukit, the superfood is amazing stuff! True it stinks to high heaven when you make it but the fish love it.

I'll get some this week then.

I've also purchased some Cobalt cichlid flakes which my wild caught Sajicas won't touch anything but. This is what the importer feeds all his stock and so I'm curious how this compares to NLS flakes, the ingredient list is fairly impressive.

HUKIT said:
I'll get some this week then.

I've also purchased some Cobalt cichlid flakes which my wild caught Sajicas won't touch anything but. This is what the importer feeds all his stock and so I'm curious how this compares to NLS flakes, the ingredient list is fairly impressive.

I've been wondering about those cobalt flakes.

im really impressed with omega one's cichlid flakes. it doesn't cloud the water, and the fosh love it.

also africans love veggies, i give mine cucumber as a treat, and they really like it.

What do you guys think of nutrafin max flake food and hikari sinking wafers thats what i use to feed my fish and occasionally frozen blood worms.

Back
Top Bottom