What type of rainbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently purchased 4 rainbowfish I believe one is a red Iranian and the three others are unknown could you guys confirm what type of angel is this.

image-4122913422.jpg

image-2490387546.jpg

image-3686347843.jpg

image-3435605109.jpg

The closest I can find would be the female of this species. You'll have to scroll down to see the picture. It's the only one I noticed that had a yellow tail fin.

Melanotaenia inornata

The bigger fish with the dark midstripe has a few possibilities. So many patterns on fish depend on the pattern of the parents and even then, the kid could turn out with red hair.

I searched the web some more and I'm pretty sure they are tirfasciata rainbowfish that haven't yet matured. Is this possible?

I think that is possible......

The bigger fish with the dark midstripe kind of looks like an Australian Rainbow IMO but there are other possibilities.

This is why I'm not really a rainbow fish fan. Many species look alike and are mixed and end up creating a hybrid.

Wiggles24 said:
I was thinking the one with the dark middle looks like a female Bosemi I have two that look just like it

I have boesmanies with it a I am almost a 100 percent sure it's not a boesmani. That one is red when I turn the lights off.

Yes. I can see some red in the picture. It could be a red. I remember when I had 4 reds when they were very young, they were pink. 3 turned red/orange and one turned dark red. The one with the stripe could be a tirfasciata rainbowfish. It's going to be a beautiful fish in about 6 months.

If they are Australian rainbows, they are all female. Males have longer fins like the fins on the fish in the link I posted.

Back
Top Bottom