What types of peacock cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jtwin64

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hat types of other cichlids can I put with peacock cichlids? I want to have a variety of color, I have a 30 gallon tank. How many 6 inch fish can I place in it? I've always heard to overcrowd cichlids. Is this true?

I don't think any peacock cichlids should live in a 30 gallon tank. I'm not a cichlid expert but I think the limit is 55-75 gallons.

30 gallon cichlid stocking ideas?

I need help with finding the species of cichlid to stock. I have a 30 gallon that is being over filtered and I am okay with doing weekly water changes. I have always heard to overcrowd cichlids. I want to have a variety of color in my tank and some decent size fish. I want to have peacocks because of their color, but not sure if the tank is right size? What other colorful cichlids can I place in the tank? Please help.

What type of cichlids can I put in a 30 gallon? It's the only largest size of tank I can place on the second floor of my house? Id like to have cichlids that have color and grow to around 4-6 inches?

an afra cichlid only gets about 4". i dont know how long your tank is ut you could do 1 male and 3 females. the males have tons of color btw

Check out the Protomelas family of cichlids. Very colorful, and about the same temperment as Alunacara. My opinion is one or two fish in that size tank, and lots of WC's.

foster53 said:
Check out the Protomelas family of cichlids. Very colorful, and about the same temperment as Alunacara. My opinion is one or two fish in that size tank, and lots of WC's.

What are WC? And thanks for answering

Jtwin64 said:
I need help with finding the species of cichlid to stock. I have a 30 gallon that is being over filtered and I am okay with doing weekly water changes. I have always heard to overcrowd cichlids. I want to have a variety of color in my tank and some decent size fish. I want to have peacocks because of their color, but not sure if the tank is right size? What other colorful cichlids can I place in the tank? Please help.

I know you are stoked about doing this, but just consider some advice before you proceed with your purchases.

- The Peacocks that I am familiar with get about 5". That's going to be a bit tight in a 30 gallon. Cramped fish can grow deformed, if they live that long.
- Overcrowding is a method used to disperse aggression, but I'm not certain that pertains to Peacocks, since they are relatively peaceful. (Corrections welcome). I don't think aggression will be your primary problem, but rather it will be in keeping your water parameters balanced and providing ample space for your cichlids to exist.
- A weekly PWC (at least) is what you would do for a properly sized aquarium with the appropriate number of Cichlids. With a smaller tank and/or too many fish you are going to need to to more % and more frequently, even with a beefy filtration system.
- Take a look around the other active posts now for folks with smaller tanks for some good recommendations on some very cool Cichlids that will work well in a 30 gallon. You could still end up with a very satisfying quantity and variations of Cichlids.

I kept 4 Africans in a 30 gallon for 3 years before I got rid of that tank and they were fine I know it's not reccomended but worked ok for me.

EriksFish315 said:
I kept 4 Africans in a 30 gallon for 3 years before I got rid of that tank and they were fine I know it's not reccomended but worked ok for me.

Firstly " Africans" tells us nothing that is such a blanket statement. You kept 4 fish that can live for 10+ years alive for three years, congratulations. If you know its not recommended why even mention it?! By doing so it re-enforces the misconception that these wonderful fish should/can be kept in kept in these small tanks when they shouldn't. A 4' 55 gallon tank is the smallest thank that should be used to house smaller Mbuna and peacocks. A 6' 125 would be the smallest tank for the larger Mbuna and Haps.

Ok not to my defense but was young an had to idea but after doing research moved them to a 75 gallon tank then that ai cracked. Now there in a 55.

You could do kribs, shellies, GBR's, etc. Peacocks will get too big. I was going to do an all male peacock tank in my 75g but decided it would be too small.

Labenator65000 said:

He could do dwarf cichlids some are colorful. African tanks need to be at least 55G or near it. Just because of the aggression and other things like growth. Could have some GBR or Bolivian ram. All cool fish.

Back
Top Bottom