What veggies do you feed? Pics please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I fed my fish broccoli and my Oto's seem to enjoy them. My Red Honey Gourami also seemed to take an interest. I'm not sure if it managed to eat any of it, but it sure tried. After 2 days there was quite a bit eaten..

Next time I drop it in I'll try and capture some photos.

I made a limabean necklace by threading some nylon fishline through a few partially-cooked lima beans, and a ceramic noodle from my cannister filter to hold it down.

So far, the ancistrus plec doesn't seem interested - I guess he's still waiting for his broccoli. The snails love the lima beans, though. :?

Try peeling the lima beans. The ancistrus love it. :wink:

SwerveDriver said:
I fed my fish broccoli and my Oto's seem to enjoy them. My Red Honey Gourami also seemed to take an interest. I'm not sure if it managed to eat any of it, but it sure tried. After 2 days there was quite a bit eaten..

Next time I drop it in I'll try and capture some photos.

Do you cook the brocolli before putting it in the tank? How do you hold it down?

Do you cook the brocolli before putting it in the tank?
Blanch it like you would for peas.
How do you hold it down?
You can slice it and use a MagFeeder, or rubberband it to a rock, or put fishing string through it and attach it something to hold it down.

My fish love to eat Zucchini, Broccoli. My snails of course will eat anything. But my fish tend to like fruit more then veggies. Apples, oranges, grape fruit, and bananas.

Do people find themselves over-doing feeding vegetables to their fish? I find that my 55 gallon (filled with Africans and Plecos) can demolish a whole cooked Zuchini in about 36 hours. And this is on top of their diet of flakes and pellets. How do people pace out their vegetable feedings?
I would send you some pics, but sadly we are still in the film age here. Jeff

Okey.....Menagerie was begging for pictures.........so i decided i should have a go :wink:
It's not super quality, but it's a pic of my keyhole eating.....uhm....i don't know the word in English. It's broccoli but white......colliflower or something like that? I attached a piece by sticking it onto a plastic paperclip and hanging it over the edge of my aquarium.
Hope more people follow with pictures!

(I also have one with the same content, but then it's chinese danios eating)

Guess it worked out okey..... :D

Oops, hope you still get this in time Menagerie....I see in your signature you need them the 22nd......Today.

Thanks to all who sent pics--Lori, BrianNY, Billsgate, webmoose, madasafish and BillyZ (I hope I didn't forget anyone). I now have multiple fish eating multiple veggies! I will be giving a presentation tomorrow to the Calgary Aquarium Society and then I will be writting up an article for AA.

The presentation went okay, after a technical difficulty, I was off and running. I will be putting together an article for AA, but don't expect to see it until the end of next week--I have a major assignment that must get done.

I know that this ino use for the presentation, but anyway.. for information. Didn't know which post to put it in.

I cut some broccoli stalk and washed it in cold water. It was the central section of the stalk. I just pushed it into the gravel.

Excuse the algae spots on the glass. Just thought I'd share.

Attachments

• feeding_vegies.jpg
    feeding_vegies.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 74
  • feeding_vegies_2.jpg
    feeding_vegies_2.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 71
I read somewhere to try carrots for your snails. So i had those peeled baby carrot, I threw one in the microwave in a cup with some water and cooked it. I waited for it to cool, cut it in 4's, and then threw it in the tank. The snails attacked them, then the fish found them a little later when it started to soften up and started chewing on it.

RoK said:
Cool pleco mattrox, what is it? :)

This is a juvenile bristlenose.

Also, I think it would have helped to blanch the stalk first. They found it quickly and had a nibble, but the algae must have been more appetizing. They did eat some but not lots and lots.

Back
Top Bottom