What was your biggest misconception of fish keeping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vero said:
I had used really cold water from the tap... you know how it can get very cold in winter...
Guilty! My old system had no way of prewarming the water. My solution was to only pour a small amount back in at a time. I think for my new system, I can use the QT for prewarming water.

Ohhh two things....I didn't reallize how much fish pooped! just cleaned out my tank for the first time and my son is standing there saying....that's some dirty water mommy!! And two I feel for my Betta who was in a one gallon tank with no heater beforer we bought the 10 gallon tank. Poor thing for a few weeks.

Mary
---------
10 Gallon Tank
2 Small Mollies
2 Fancy Mollies
1 Male Betta

Besides always having that ongoing problem with algea, it seems to be like a swimming pool. Or rather that saying its a hole to throw money into, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I like my fish to much.

I may have a case of Multiple Tank Syndrome coming on. I've got my new 75 gallon up, and the QT running at all times, and I'm thinking, instead of converting this beauty to saltwater, maybe I can have a saltwater tank on the other side of the livingroom! We don't watch much TV, I could just slip that into the attic to make space!

The major thing holding me back is that I don't trust the center support of my house. (That and the empty wallet.) I'd rather keep all the tanks along the foundation. Hrm... Maybe when I refurbish the dining room.

rules..

jrp1588 said:
the inch of fish per gallon "rule"

I agree with you on this one. The inch of fish per gallon is definitely a misconception....

1 Bala shark - 5", 1 Red Tail shark - 4", 1 Rainbow shark - 3 1/2", 1 Albino Rainbow shark - 3", 1 Golden Dojo Loach - 8", 1 Dojo loach - 4", 2 Fire Eels - 9" each, 4 Chinese Algae Eaters - 1" each, 1 Bolivian Ram - 1", 6 Glowlight rasboras - 1" each. 55G/75G coming soon.

Back
Top Bottom