What water conditioner do you prefer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use Start Right, it does not have anything extra in it except for electrolytes, which are salts.

I was using StartRight as well, but when it ran out I started using InstaChlor (also by Jungle). 1 8 oz container treats 3200 gallons...with a 55g and and a 10g I figure I'll have it for a while ;) Treats chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals.

I also like Novaqua and Amquel. I use Amquel when my test kit indicates that I have chloramine in the water. Usually in the winter they will put it in the water. I use 10 drops per gallon of each product. I was using more Novaqua, but I don't think it's beneficial and just wastes it.

I'll also need another bottle of Novaqua soon. I was thinking of using Start Right also, but my fish is used to the Novaqua and Amquel, so I'll stick with them. Is it too hard on the fish to change brands? It might not be worth putting them thru the stress.

Acutally I am thinking I will get a Python or something similar and direct the water from the tap to my tank. I want to go ahead and condition the water as it hits the tank, while the fish are in it. So I'm hoping for something that is surely not harsh. What a dream it would be to get rid of my big, heavy bucket. I have a hard time carrying that heavy water.

PlatyLady said:
Sati, it sounds like you have what I have - I call it Bucket-Back! At least it gives me a reason to go get a massage.

Well if I time I right I give my boyfriend Bucket-Back, heh ;]

I use ro water in my tanks, so no declorinator is necessary. In the Amazon tank I use Tetra Blackwater Extract and electro-right. In the Malawi tank I use 1 tsp. of Epson salt, one tsp. of sea salt, and one tsp. of baking soda for each 5 gallons of water. I then add CichlidVital, also from Tetra.

I use Aqua Plus by Nutrafin. If I could find what Allivymar uses, I would get that because it's cheaper and does the same thing. You will love a python. I can't imagine being without one now.

I use Bio-Safe; it removes chlorine and chloramine. I use a Python and as soon as I do my weekly 25% water change, I just put the needed amount of it right into the tank and put the filter on a higher/faster setting so the Bio-Safe gets evenly distributed quickly.

Yes Sati, you will LOVE the Python! It's the best invention for aquariums ever :)

Waterlife Haloex. Apparently a British brand. It removes chlorine, chloramine, and heavy metals.

I use Hagen Aqua Plus (8 oz is about $7.5 CND at Super pets). I add it to bucket of the water, stir it and then pour it (gently) into the tank. Myself was looking for a cheaper alternative though.

I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Conditioner. Removes chlorine and heavy metals, and breaks the chloramine bond (they then recommend using another product [ammo lock] to bind the ammonia, but that isn't necessary if you have a healthy tank. I'm assuming thats why a few of you are using amquel...you probably don't need it.

I think any dechloronator would work ok for 99.9% of the people. Personally, I use Stress Coat since that is the first thing I tried and it seems to work ok for me.

I doubt different brands make that much difference...

I am using BioSafe, because it seems to have what I want, and not what I don't (price is right, too)! I have used Stress Coat for years, but I am not convinced aloe is necessary, and it does seem to give me a film on the surface of the water if I overdose a bit.

Actually they sorta can yhbae. Some only remove chlorine, some both chlorine and chloramine, some will covert ammonia and supposedly remove nitrites too. Is why its important to read the labels and see what they claim. I personally use the Insto Chlor cause it only removes chlorine/chloramine and removes heavy metals. The less it does, the less chemicals involved and the more I'm comfortable with using it.

TankGirl said:
I am using BioSafe, because it seems to have what I want, and not what I don't (price is right, too)! I have used Stress Coat for years, but I am not convinced aloe is necessary, and it does seem to give me a film on the surface of the water if I overdose a bit.

Really? I'll have to watch out for that... :D

Aloe shmaloe.. :D I don't really believe this does any good (or bad) to the fishes in the tank...

So far, I didn't see any film and around here, this is the cheapest chemical I can buy at Walmart so that is the main reason for using this... The only chemical cheaper than this one is ChloroOut (forgot who manufactures this) but it claims to only remove chlorine and not chloromine. I don't have this in my tap water but don't trust my utility company so... :D

Back
Top Bottom