What would you do? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a little betta two weeks ago. It's about an inch and a half long. Not one of those TINY ones you see that Petco sells, bigger than that but obviously a baby. People here seemed to think it might be a male. The fins haven't started to lengthen yet.

He/she has been hiding since I put him/her in my 55 gallon tank. I've never had one hide this long. I don't know if it's just shy or scared of the bigger fish. I have Rainbows that are rowdy and fast, and the little one disappears within the tall, very thick, soft plant in there, and that's where he/she stays. Only comes out only at feeding time, morning and night, and only stays out long enough to grab a few bites and then retreats again. I rarely see him/her between feedings, but I don't see any abnormalities that are obvious.

So this is where I need help--he/she is VERY thin. I noticed just HOW thin today when I looked at him/her from above. OMG, he/she's a RAIL! He/she has absolutely nothing to fall back on. I've given him/her a variety of foods (while keeping the Rainbows in the other end of the tank as much as possible) and he/she is apparently not gaining, and even looks like there might have been a little weight LOST.

Should I leave him/her in the 55 and hope for the best, target feeding him/her, or should I uproot the poor thing and put it in another tank? (I have a 20 and a 10 with other fish). I'm scared to do it because I fear the stress will be too much for her/him, and I'll lose him/her. But.. it would be easier to see that he/she eats. In the 10 gallon I have Harlequin Rasboras. In the 20 is a Peacock Gudgeon, some molly babies, a Sparkling Gourami, and some cories. What would you do? I really don't want to lose this little cutie.
The temperature in the 55 gallon is 78, (I would have it at 80 but for the Dojo loaches), PH 7.6, medium/hard, Ammonia 0 Nitrites 0 and Nitrates stay around 10. Weekly water changes and siphoning.

If it's losing that much weight I would suspect internal parasites. In that case metronidazole medicated food would be a good course of action. I would also do it in a separate tank just to be sure it's not from lack of food.

One week of the metro food should be enough to take care of any internal parasites. I would give it 2 - 3 weeks of heavy feeding and frequent water changes just to fatten it back up.

You don't think changing to another tank would kill it? But I guess... if it's parasites then it would die eventually anyway. So I don't really have much choice, do I? I do have Metro, thank goodness!

You don't think changing to another tank would kill it? But I guess... if it's parasites then it would die eventually anyway. So I don't really have much choice, do I? I do have Metro, thank goodness!

As long as you acclimate it the fish will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom