What Would You Put in a New 60 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mama Karoti

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am currently cycling a 60 gallon tank (basically the same dims as a 55 but slightly taller). I am using this time to research and decide what fish to put in it. The only definite inhabitants at this point are four False Julii Cories (pretty sure one of them is true Julii though). They currently live in a 10 gallon, and I got this tank to give them more room. I also intend to plant it, and I have fun caves, etc. I have a sand substrate.

So I would like to hear ideas. What would you put in a new 60 gallon community tank if you were starting from scratch?

If I had a 60g, I might stock with:
6 false julli Cory cats- upping your #'s
A striped peacock eel
Large school of black skirt tetras
Cardinal tetras
Harlequin Rasboras
A large but peaceful gourami of some sort
Ottos and shrimp, but the eel may eat these.

Happy stocking:D

If you are asking:

Boesmani rainbows
Harlequin rasbonas
Otto

With the caves and stuff I also would suggest
GBRs or Bolivian rams
Some sort of loach
Ghost or cherry shrimp
Bamboo shrimp

I would add pearl Gouramis, snakeskin barbs, and a big school of glow light danios. For the bottom, a large group of kuhli loaches would be nice

Congo tetras, pentazona barbs, pair of German blue rams, pair of Apisto cacatuoides, pearl gourami, and more...

A couple of smaller common Goldfish, a nice colored small Koi, some cories and loaches that don't need higher temp water.

So I ended up stocking the following fish:

1 Female Pearl Gourami
1 Sunburst Platy
2 Blue Mickey Mouse Platies (fry that somehow survived when they were in the 10 gallon)
4 False Julii Cories
1 Chocolate Bristlenose Pleco
6 Neon Tetras
3 Assassin Snails (keeping the pest snail population in check)

I also have lots of fun plants such as Anubias, Amazon Sword, Water Sprite, Anacharis, Green Myrio, Hornwort (floating), Java Fern, Java Moss, Moss Ball, and Banana Plant. Also upgraded lighting to T5HO for plants.

I do not plan on adding anyone else at this time. I'm about 2/3 stocked and would like to keep it there for multiple reasons. I'll try to get some pictures soon.

A couple of smaller common Goldfish, a nice colored small Koi, some cories and loaches that don't need higher temp water.

Koi should NEVER be kept in tanks unless 500g+ You can grow them in tanks for ponds though but only for short periods of time. Definitely wouldn't recommend keeping goldfish with corys either.

Back
Top Bottom