WHAT?!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bnpleco

Aquarium Advice Activist
What's up with my male electric blue ram? I woke up today to find his eye poping out! I have noticed for the last week or so he has been hiding more than usually.

Tank 20 gallon long
Amo 0
Ite0
Ate4

Stocked:
EBR pair
L134 pleco
BN pleco
11 cardinal tetras
2 platy fry 2 guppys

Attachments

• image-2819626892.jpg
    image-2819626892.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 79
  • image-724723042.jpg
    image-724723042.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 80
  • image-1281766120.jpg
    image-1281766120.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 73
  • image-2593961493.jpg
    image-2593961493.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 80
I have never had it but seen people on here have the same problem with there fish I think it's called pop eye and you have to dose the tank with some type of medicine maybe google it hope he gets better :)

I've had a few fish with pop eye. Treatment is actually pretty simple. You can use the bottled medication "Melafix" which I personally love, but have never used it for pop eye though it is used for treating it.
I use a home made remedy and add some Epsom salts into the tank. I forgot the dosage you may need to google it but I treated a molly with Epsom salts and within 4-5 days it cleared it up and she was back to her normal self :)

A popped out eye can be caused by a number of reasons. One eye instead of both usually suggests an injury but not always.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html#ERM
Pop-Eye
Pathogen/Cause: Various organisms (nonspecific), Severe Stress
Physical Signs: Exopthalmos (protrusion of the eyeball from the socket) caused by accumulation of pus and fluid in the infected orbit.
Behavioral Signs: Associated with loss of vision, also just general signs of lethargy.
Potential Treatment: Broad spectrum antibiotics. Many formulations available. For a more thorough discussion on the various causes & treatments of popeye, please refer to Dan's archived comments about popeye.
Other Notes: Frequent water changes a must to improve quality. Test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. Pop-eye is a sign of a number of infections, rather than a disease in its own right. For more on this disease, read this.

Melafix will do nothing in this situation.

Back
Top Bottom