What's going on? Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bud29

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yesterday I put a piece of mopani wood in my 30 gallon tank. After looking at it closely today, on one end it has a thin layer of this whitish-clear film. Then all over the wood there are these tiny, tiny white spots, as if the wood has ick. Any ideas on what this is and why it is happening? I'm sure that it wasn't there before I put it in the tank. I can't get a pic as my camera isn't that good and can't pick up details like that through glass.

bud29 said:
Yesterday I put a piece of mopani wood in my 30 gallon tank. After looking at it closely today, on one end it has a thin layer of this whitish-clear film. Then all over the wood there are these tiny, tiny white spots, as if the wood has ick. Any ideas on what this is and why it is happening? I'm sure that it wasn't there before I put it in the tank. I can't get a pic as my camera isn't that good and can't pick up details like that through glass.

Are they moving around? If yes is there any way of describing the motion?

the same thing happened to me when i put plant bulbs in my aquarium. it got like a gelatin covering on the bulb. i just left it go and after about 3 weeks it started to bud. not sure if wood is the same but i'm thinking it might be. hope someone with fisrt hand knowledge will see your post and have a definitive answer for you. :)

bud29 said:
That was my first guess, that they were tiny snails, but the white spots don't move......

Hmmm there goes my theory. I thought they might copepeds... Sorry!

It does kind of look like the fungus that grew on one of my aponogeton bulbs, but that was a whiter fungus that looked like it had bubbles in it.

Well, the film has grown, and now it's so noticeable my camera can get a shot of it. Here it is. And by the way, I felt it and it feels like that film you get on the sides of your tank. Could it be that? Could it be something toxic? If so, how do I go about dealing with it?

Attachments

• CIMG1029.jpg
    CIMG1029.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom