What's like a pleco, but not a pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black udder

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 3 common pleco's that I have to give up (they're too big for my tank - 40g). However, I just love to watch them. I love it when they extend their fins.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anybody knows of a replacement (obviously smaller) that I could put into the tank instead of them. I'm hoping a local store will allow a trade. I've seen lots of the other pleco's, but nothing in person - and pictures don't tell the whole story.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

You could get a smaller species of a pleco such as the bristlenose which only gets around half a foot or so.

I agree there are several commonly available smaller species of pleco. I have spotted bulldog/rubberlipped, bristlenoses, clowns and pittbulls, all of which would do well in a 40g tank. There are some other suckermouth cats as well, like ottos, that you could look into.

Any of the dwarf plecos mentioned would be good. A good place to look for pleco profiles is Planetcatfish.com .

Any Of The Smaller Plecos are an excellent choice, BushyNose, Clown, Rubberlip, Bulldog, They are stay under 6 inches.

Clown's are Panaques and require driftwood in the tank, and if you have an Acrylic tank I would not recommend them.. (could rasp the finish off the tank)

But the others mentioned are great plecs.

Panaques from what I understand do not eat algae. (such as royal's and other panaques)

if you want to get another pleco i would go the route of a bristlenose or rubbermouthed pleco. If you want something else they go with a farrowella catfish. Thy are supposedly great algae eaters and are quite interesting to look at.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I have two golden algea eaters, so I'm not concerned about algea at this point. I just like to watch them. They're so unlike the other fish in the tank. I'd watch my catfish, but they're all hidden :(

I've got a clown pleco in my 10 gallon. He does fine. Just sits under the tree stump and scares away any fish that get too close.

Back
Top Bottom