Whats on my aquarium glass?? Brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjdodson05

Aquarium Advice Activist
I cannot figure out what is on my aquarium glasd....it looks like light brown fuzz or something....when I clean the glass it comes off fairly easy into what looks like a cloud of dust...I clean it off and within an hour it starts to accumulate again....it has now found its way into my 2nd aquarium. The first tank is brackish and the 2nd is FW. Please help identify what this is and how to get rid of it. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brackish tank

Attachments

• 1389942426452.jpg
    1389942426452.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 306
suvasemu.jpg

For the white stuff, I don't know what is it... Probably bubbles ??

For the brown slime that cover windows, it's called diatoms. It must be manually removed from windows, it's easy to remove with a sponge. This is normal.

It is not bubbles and it is not normal....ive had 2 tanks running for over 5 years and never had this issue....it is very unsightly and it would be a full time job cleaning the glass in order to be able to clearly see my fish....I just cleaned it an hour ago and this is how it looks now.....note that im not referring to the water spots on the glass in this pic its all the smaller stuff all over the glass....
e3aba7uz.jpg

It moves like hair in the water....I cannot find anything that resembles it anywhere on the internet......also forgot to mention that also my biofilter in hob filters keep havi g this thick brown sludge on them just at the top of the filter that keeps restricting the water flow so I have to keep swishing them around in the bucket every week when I do my water change...in order to keep my filters running smooth....if i dont do this then my tank gets cloudy due to lack of filtration. ...this issue has only started since the mystery stuff on my glass occurred....

Exact same thing I have!

I have the EXACT same thing in my 45 tall! It drives me crazy! You can't clean it off, bc it comes right back and is floating around. I hate not being able to see my fish clearly. I've had perfect water parameters (until a few days ago when I added some fish) but this has been on here for months. I have hair algae too. :-/

I have the same thing in my 60g!! Brown sludge and everything!

I wish someone could answer this for us...it is very aggravating, to say the least!

Back
Top Bottom